Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Seems low to me: an average of $20,000 per person.

12 Likes

One thing which worries and sometimes infuriates me , even to the brink of incoherent rage, is the fact that education, even in sciences, does not make your less prone to believe this kind of bullshit.

I know how difficult it is to change habits, and I know how difficult it is to change an opinion which has emotionally settled in my mind. Seriously, if I don’t have very personal stakes, don’t feel very threatened or very hurt or devalued if someone else is telling me something, I usually try to understand how reliable information I am given is.

And if someone tells me that vaccines are an “experimental drug developed by a criminal company” they are clearly not worthy of a duel and can just fuck off.

monty python i fart in your general direction GIF

12 Likes

I own a tiny little company for 30 years, for the past several it’s been just me and my wife. It’s a service business and this week we’re doing some set up for an outdoor trade show. We start early before anyone gets there and keep plenty of distance between ourselves and others. If anyone get too close we walk away until we’re alone again. It’s nice we have the luxury of picking and choosing how we work. We are very fortunate.

Here’s the thing, if I hear one more person say people are responsible they don’t need to wear a mask because they sneeze or cough into their elbow… Bull Crap, I watched countless numbers of people sneezing, coughing, and spitting all day long within a few feet of each other. No one practices personal hygiene. I know it’s outdoors and we are pretty safe because we put lots of distance between us but still

And I actually heard this today.

“It’s nice to be able to to do these shows now that covid is no longer out there.”

I normally don’t respond but that right there required a big ole “WTF are you talking about!?”

23 Likes

My last job involved travel to a few shows a year. Sure, I made more money then. But nopety, nopety, and nope.

8 Likes

Daily schadenquatsch:

11 Likes

Hey look everybody… it’s a shithead fight

13 Likes

This is probably not good

We are certainly seeing it here. About 15% positivity rate in the last week or so at my office. But might actually be testimony to vaccine efficacy, since the vast majority of the cases are in those too young to be vaccinated. There is also the fact that delta seems to more effectively infect kids. My concern, as I have expressed before, is less that there is a small, but still significant, number of kids who get seriously ill or die from this, but that there is a much larger number (a recent study found around 4%) who will develop longer term effects. Especially since we have very little idea what “longer term” even means yet. So much unknown, so many people quite happy to make their, and everyone else’s, kids into experimental subjects for real. As opposed to the imagined “experiment” of vaccinating them. And we are tired, man. So very tired.

27 Likes

Yep. This.

Also, I do wonder about the development of another variant that is worse on kids, too.

So many scary things to consider. And assholes will not get vaccinated…

13 Likes

This 18-month-old has never known anything except for her 3 older brothers to be at home with her every day. In-person school started back up, so she spent the day without them for the first time.

Yes, it’s hard to be locked up at home due the pandemic, but it also fosters closer family ties.

https://www.tiktok.com/@almostindianwife/video/7006094113003064582

17 Likes

I’m not a sucker for kids, so I don’t know why there is moisture in my tear ducts? (This is way cute!)

9 Likes
16 Likes
19 Likes

Good, but my hopes are very limited. Medical boards in most states trend republican ideologically, and he may find enough fellow travelers to get by.

16 Likes

Update locally: Our local 238-bed hospital currently has 78 covid patients hospitalized (as of this morning. It will get worse), UVA has maxed out it’s ICU beds and is converting med-surg beds to ICU capacity to handle the surge, and we are seeing measles in incoming Afghani refugees being resettled here. I have not seen any publicly acknowledged concerns about staffing, but hiring nurses and RT’s is not an easy task at this time and the only solution currently is to work the staff we have harder and longer with fewer breaks. We are working our days off, we are working at double capacity, and still not able to see everyone who needs seen. Yeah, it could be better. It. Did. Not. Have. To. Be. Like. This. We are very much human and cannot keep this up forever. I apologize to the folks we will (and have) inevitably fail.

Edit to add these stats from VDH from todays notice:

While we don’t have exact numbers, we can tell you that the vast majority of our COVID inpatients are unvaccinated. According to the VDH, as of August 28th, 4,832,258 Virginians are fully vaccinated. Of these people, 0.4% have developed COVID-19, 0.016% have been hospitalized, 0.0032% have died. Like most vaccines, the COVID vaccine is not 100% effective; however, these numbers from the VDH show that the COVID-19 vaccine is incredibly successful at protecting us from the virus.

Seems like this should be pretty definitive, but not to certain folks, I guess. It’s not zero, so obviously the vaccine doesn’t work. :man_facepalming:

26 Likes
19 Likes
17 Likes

This is not what I would call “free:”

11 Likes

Agree but maybe he meant the statement as a warning. Something like “even when the covid infection is gone, I’m still suffering and in the ICU.”
Disappointed he isn’t using his celebrity to urge vaccines.

11 Likes

I’m calling it… we’re going to hit a million deaths before this is all over. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m afraid I’m not.

sad tom hiddleston GIF

17 Likes
14 Likes