Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Hold my beer, says America…

16 Likes

“ Carlson, a self-confessed liar and peddler of vaccine misinformation, also corrected his previous night’s assertion in a graphic that said it was Minaj’s cousin — and not his cousin’s friend — whose testicles had become enlarged.“

We haven’t been able to figure out whether this show is broadcast in Trinidad,” Carlson said at the end of a 10-minute segment dedicated to Minaj’s unsubstantiated claim.

“But if Nicki Minaj’s cousin’s friend is watching, or his former fiancee is watching, we want to hear your story,” he continued. “We’ll come to Port of Spain to see you. Let us know.”

8 Likes

Trevor Noah made some interesting points about this story, and the part about the difference in vaccines widely used in Trinidad vs. the U.S. caught my attention:

Also, not sure if Joy Reid has made any response (I’m not on Twitter). However, I can only hope she learned (or others pointed out) that the majority of the development done on these vaccines was not during the previous administration. That’s another point of misinformation that needs to die in a fire:

15 Likes

Via the “Interesting People” list… which is generated by Alpha+ computer science types… “interesting” being, therefore, somewhat subjective… :no_mouth:

Freely available pre-print PDF.

The study is interesting in that it provides a controlled demonstration of the phenomenon of social group influence and information bias. It indicates, among other things, that scores on a common (but oft controversial) test of reasoning ability correlate negatively to susceptibility to misleading information from sources within people’s own social groups.

I suspect these findings may be more controversial in some circles than others… :thinking:

7 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Just learned of three breakthrough cases in my personal orbit.

Fuck. Waaay too close for comfort.

22 Likes

Let us know how they do.

I also know 2 people in my immediate vicinity that got breakthrough infections, they did well. They said it wasn’t fun but it only lasted a few days and no hospital.

I hope your people do just as well if not better.

16 Likes

All three were ill for a day plus or minus. One for only a few hours. All were vaccinated within the past six months. A fitness instructor, a business owner and a retiree.

So far all all are continuing to do well. Whew! :+1:

20 Likes

I’m calling it… we’re going to hit a million deaths before this is all over

You are quite possibly 10 days late.

The IHME has the under-count in the :us: at nearly 60%, with 905,000 total COVID-19 deaths as of May 20th, 2021. Their estimate is that the 1m mark was passed on September 5th, with a projection of 1.17m dead by December 1st, or about 1 in every 250 Americans.

Globally, the IHME are projecting 12m people dead by December 1st.

For comparison, The Economist has the U.S. at around 789,000 total COVID-19 deaths as of August 20th, 2021, that value adjusted for an under-count of about 25%. Globally, The Economist estimates between 2.1x and 3.9x the official count as the actual number globally, or 9.6m to 18m people as of September 15th.

23 Likes

It pains me greatly to “like” this, but it is most likely accurate, or at the very least closer to the truth than the official numbers bandied about.

Edit for I type bad

19 Likes
19 Likes

Who would have guessed that some of the testimony may have been inflated. :neutral_face:

16 Likes

“ The main finding was the older population, when boosted, was 11 times less likely to get infected and 19.5 times less likely to get severely ill compared to similar people who had received two doses but not a booster shot.”

21 Likes

I’m curious to see the FDA’s response on this. I saw three headlines this morning that there is some disagreement about the data:

15 Likes
6 Likes

If you look at the number of excess deaths since March 2020, we are close to or have already surpassed a million deaths that cannot be explained by the usual causes (heart attacks, cancer, etc.).

16 Likes

14 Likes

No internet all day, so I posted without reading through the whole thread first.

When I return to the 21st century, I owe you a coke gif!

12 Likes

Actual LOL here!

14 Likes