Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Shocked Phone GIF

… Shocking revelations
We are all deeply affected
But how many times’?
How many times must they get burned… More

11 Likes
22 Likes

Of course this will only embolden the trumpists.

11 Likes

“See! Hitler DID have a few good ideas!”

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I hate this timeline.

22 Likes

Bolsonaro and entourage should quarantine, reccomends Anvisa (Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency)

The recommendation comes after the minister of Health Marcelo Queiroga tests positive for COVD-19 and aims to avoid a possible outbreak

14 Likes

I hope that these modelers are right with their latest projection, but it should be taken with a huge grain of salt. The winter surge we had led to far more deaths than even their most pessimistic projection scenario from June of 2020, and the current death rate is several times what they were predicting in their model from July of this year, so they definitely don’t have a stellar track record.

11 Likes

In fact, if we extrapolate from past predictive history, I’d say the answer is…NO, the worst is nowhere near over yet.

These headlines always follow a pattern, don’t they?

13 Likes

Email my wife just forwarded to me. Local situation is terrible.

Read below, yes , the decision to downsize the wedding was smart. Posted by Emmett Hanger

PLEASE READ AND SHARE: Augusta Health is putting out an urgent message to community members to get vaccinated and actively promote it to your friends and family (we have edited the letter from President & CEO Mary Mannix to bullet points). Emmett is working with Augusta Health, the VHHA and others to push the Governor and his Administration for waivers to assist them in their efforts to address a staffing crisis and expanded vaccine distribution as well as other critical needs.

PLEASE READ & SHARE:

Over the past two weeks, the number of people in our community who have COVID-19 has grown to a level similar to the peak we experienced last December. The COVID-19 inpatient census at Augusta Health is about 30% higher than it was at our highest point in January. As we monitor the progression of the disease in our community through multiple modeling techniques, all indications are that our COVID-19 inpatient census will continue to rise through the end of September to mid-October.

Since the pandemic began, sadly, 215 members of our community have died from COVID-19. During the past four weeks, 23 people have died, and in the past week, 11 people have died.

In order for Augusta Health to continue to effectively provide care for our community, we are appealing to everyone in the Staunton, Augusta County, and Waynesboro area who is qualified to receive a COVID-19 vaccine to get their vaccination as soon as possible.

Our community’s low vaccination rate of 53% has resulted in an extremely high rate of COVID-19 locally, putting severe strain on Augusta Health personnel and resources. 85% of the COVID-19 patients at Augusta Health are unvaccinated.

We estimate the SAW community prevalence is at 1,200 COVID-19 patients, which is consistent with the highest number since the pandemic began. While we experienced similar prevalence in December 2020, the Delta variant is proving to be deadlier and much more easily spread.

Community testing positivity rates are an important indicator of the amount of COVID-19 within a community. Johns Hopkins has stated that a testing positivity rate greater than 5% is cause for concern. In May, the WHO stated that communities should not relax quarantine measures until testing positivity rates are below 5% for two consecutive weeks. The SAW testing positivity rate is presently at 31%—the highest rate our community has ever experienced. Everyone should be aware of this number and use it to guide decisions concerning masking and attendance in crowded public spaces.

We opened a monoclonal antibody infusion clinic Monday, September 20, 2021, for COVID-19 positive patients in the community for patients who are early symptomatic, not hospitalized, and who qualify according to the CDC criteria.

Augusta Health is presently at near capacity and operating under “Red Surge” conditions, which means non-urgent and non-emergent procedures have been halted so staff can be redeployed to provide care for our hospitalized patients. Spaces have also been repurposed.

Because we are operating at maximum capacity, we are working to coordinate care with health systems across the Commonwealth who are not experiencing such high prevalence rates.

While data varies from day to day, the projected peak of this surge is projected for the end of September to mid-October.

Just like other health care providers, we have applied for state and federal resources to augment our critical care staffing. As of now, we have no information on whether these requests will be fulfilled. Without relief from federal or state clinical resources, it may be necessary for Augusta Health to transfer patients to other health systems in the Commonwealth if projections prove correct and hospitalizations continue to rise.

To this end, on behalf of our employees and for the health of the community, Augusta Health is asking the local business community, local municipalities, church communities, civic groups, and all other stakeholder groups to support vaccine requirements for the community and continue to mask in public and follow social distancing guidelines. I am asking you specifically to take a public position, united with the position of Augusta Health, that all members of the community choose to be vaccinated. This will result in avoiding unnecessary community infections and allow Augusta Health to allocate its resources to care for those in our community with the greatest need. Most importantly, it will help save lives and enable us to resume care for all members of the community.

For information on how to schedule a COVID-19 vaccination, call 540-332-5122(8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Mon. through Fri.), or by visiting the Augusta Health website at www.augustahealth.com and clicking on “Click Here: For COVID-19 Information and Vaccine Availability” at the top of the home page.

30 Likes
19 Likes

I’m very sorry for you guys. While I am not fine myself, and had a shit day, week, month, and year, your situation is on entirely different level.

I’m really, really sorry. If you have ideas how I could do something meaningful, please tell.

18 Likes

"…emergency room wait times at Children’s “routinely approach 10 hours,” saying it happens two to three times a week.

“We are at six hours pretty much every day now in the busy evening times,” the employee said."

15 Likes

29 Likes
7 Likes

He has already canceled an event due to quarantine.

Mr. Queiroga, the health minister, is also under quarentine in a New York hotel.

15 Likes

The recent attacks on public health, the willingness on the part of Ron DeSantis, Greg Abbott, Tate Reeves, Kay Ivey to defy standard public health practice—even as they see their constituents suffer—has its roots in a deep ideological commitment. This isn’t about the CDC’s shifting mask guidance, or about the belated acknowledgement of airborne transmission of the virus. This isn’t what matters to these leaders. And it’s simply willful ignorance to suggest that “bad communication” is at the root of what is happening now. As Naomi Klein notes, every catastrophe is an opportunity.

The pandemic has enabled these leaders to pursue policies they have wanted to push way before SARS-COV-2 had entered the scene. As the poet Anne Sexton said of self-destruction in another context: “Suicides have a special language. Like carpenters they want to know which tools. They never ask why build.” The GOP is looking for ways to undermine access to health care, public health regulations and programs—the whole already-frayed safety net. Right now, we need a massive investment to revive public health in America. We were in dire shape before the pandemic; now we have one party that is hell-bent on destruction and the other party, for all its welcome departure from the Trump administration’s insanity, thinks it can McKinsey its way out of a crisis, ignoring the fundamental weaknesses in our public health system.

17 Likes
12 Likes

My guess: women don’t have their symptoms taken as seriously, are thereby under-diagnosed and sent home to sleep it off and quit complaining. Then no autopsy or testing after death because everyone in the death industry is overwhelmed.

I have not read the article.

15 Likes

Dr. Joseph Ladapo, who was appointed on Tuesday by Gov. Ron DeSantis, instituted his first rule Wednesday to give parents “sole discretion” over whether their child wears a mask. The change, as reported by the Miami Herald , will also allow students who come in contact with the virus to continue attending class if they remain asymptomatic.

10 Likes

17 Likes

What other previously harmless activities/substances might be affected by Covid-19?

12 Likes