Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Kicking out legitimately toxic actors instead of catering to them always results in better QOL for everyone else.

Vaccine mandates stoked fears of labor shortages. But hospitals say they’re working.

18 Likes

“Once we understand that people have not complied with the simple request to say yes or no or that I’m going to take the testing option then yes we will be moving forward into no-pay status,” Mayor Lightfoot said.

how i met your mother evil laugh GIF

19 Likes
19 Likes
14 Likes

Normally I’m not (quite) so dark, but today all I can think is: The only thing that’s sad is that he’s taking up a ventilator.

21 Likes

…and the cracks in the system start to widen…

17 Likes

Public and politicians that don’t understand that ICUs aren’t meant to run above 50%* for extended periods of time. That capacity is meant for when SHTF: everyone pitches in, it’s a heavy load for a few weeks, and then things relax for a while.

And now we’re coming up on the end of the second year.

* my ignorant ballpark guess.

16 Likes
21 Likes
7 Likes

These idiots

18 Likes

I have been telling anyone who will listen that requiring people to work beyond their limits is not a sustainable solution to a situation that has no resolution in sight. Insane hours and crazy workload briefly for a crisis with a finite duration? Of course, we all would do that. Sacrifice your personal life for the foreseeable future? No, no, that is not going to happen. We have to find another way.

23 Likes

Another odd side effect of the pandemic that I’m unfortunately newly aware of is that vets and vet techs are getting burned out, too. I knew about “people doctors” and caregivers’ burnout, but didn’t know about this.
So many people newly adopted pets when everything shut down, and even though vet offices and clinics around here were able to increase staffing levels, they just can’t keep up. One place has a very specific triage protocol in place, another recently closed (they’re normally a 24/7 facility) for a few days to give everyone a much needed break.
The caregivers need to be able to take care of themselves.

21 Likes

My sister is a vet. Can confirm. She says people are getting way more demanding and impatient as schedules get tighter as well, just like for everything else.

17 Likes

Pass along my gratitude to your parents for raising not one, but two humans who opted for careers taking care of those who need it. :heart:
And that sucks that people are being impatient and demanding. I’m so thankful for any help, I can’t imagine treating any helpers like that.

17 Likes

My parents were huge nerds, and both very accomplished musicians. Besides the two of us, my youngest brother runs the PT program in a large WV hospital and my middle brother started a firm that does analysis of medical scans, when he is not writing sci-fi books. They set a very high bar for us.

22 Likes

Also, the fact that most of any overtime pay will go to immediate personal care…extra calories, the financial burden of accommodating an extended schedule, child care, etc.

There will be very little personal benefit from this for employees.

15 Likes
7 Likes

Five times as many police officers have died from Covid-19 as from gunfire

unfortunately now they just shoot anyone they suspect of being ill /s

“but judge, i thought he was going to sneeze”

7 Likes

It’s funny 'cause it’s true!

6 Likes

gallows humor, sorry. it’s not like they even need an excuse most times anyway. :confused:

9 Likes