Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

No, there is no control group here. That would require a group neither vaccinated nor infected. That number is going to be (IMHO) vanishingly tiny in the near future.

16 Likes

You do know that being a couple of weeks behind the UK (both in infections and vaccinations) is not actually a good idea, right?

It’s gone exponential this week. Surely we can recognise the pattern at this stage? Slow, slow, quick, quick oh fuck? The usual talk of “Look at hospitalisation/ICU/death” before the inevitable lag kicks in.

Parents will be burying their children on Zoom at this rate. Have people not had enough of doing that with their parents and grandparents?

16 Likes

Can I answer on behalf of those in other fields?

Please, please, can I?

4 Likes

case, case, case, cluster, cluster, BOOM!
Yeah, this pattern has a distressing way of repeating when people refuse to acknowledge how it happens. Because it always happens the same way. Every fucking time.

16 Likes

Well, this sucks…

Meta-analysis suggests pre-existing mental disorders associated with COVID-19 mortality (docguide.com)

Let me be clear, there are enough confounding variables in this to make the whole conclusion questionable, but the trend seems robust. The vulnerable are always hurt the most.

14 Likes
20 Likes

Missed this one. Which is fortunate. All you would need to do is calculate the change in dead space, which is trivial, to prove that this was bullshit. I have to heartlessly hope this impacts the authors’ reputations.

18 Likes

Sadly experience would suggest it will impact their ability to earn. Unfortunately not adversely.

Science does expect a level of honest self criticism which the grift does not. It’s the same weakness our media/political sphere exhibits.

8 Likes

case, case, case, cluster, cluster, BOOM!

Early on in this I resisted doing any modelling because whatever I sketched out, just back of the envelope, it said exactly that. “No, I thought to myself, surely that’s not helpful…” and indeed it turned out to be not helpful, but not wrong either… :cry:

In other news, here in Ontario :canada:, the Toronto Star has done some digging.

I find it mildly encouraging that we :canada:'ians still get upset by this stuff…

14 Likes

34 Likes

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

5 Likes
25 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes
13 Likes

They better protect Simone…

Simone Biles Sport GIF by Team USA

16 Likes
14 Likes
13 Likes
10 Likes

I don’t know in which region you are, but in mine (sao paulo countryside, but i guess it also applies to the whole country) the vaccine sommeliers are not only delaying their own immunization, but also for others, and probably wasting doses, because there are not enough doses for everyone and it is necessary to get an appointment to guarantee that there will be enough doses for everyone who shows up.

7 Likes