Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Reagan and Biden have proven that America is OK with old men as leaders, even with visible and possibly age-related mental deficits

Trump is “old” in the sense that he’s not new anymore, though, and he can’t be shocking and scary again as a former POTUS and known loser

Part of what Trump’s supporters liked was that nobody knew what he would really do in office, and DeSantis sure has that going for him :grimacing:

2 Likes

Word is he has zero charisma. And terrible interpersonal skills.

That’ll come out on the national stage. Hopefully we’ll get a really divided Republican primary with several candidates and they all tear each other apart.

Go into the general divided, demoralized and angry at each other.

9 Likes

That’s a lot.

11 Likes

Those numbers… has there ever been such a rapid spike? That would be variant/mutation statistical paradise, right?

Could we be looking at a whole fresh roll of the dice here?

10 Likes

There were some news outlets emphasizing that the outbreaks preceded the lifting of restrictions. However, they were drowned out by the rest. It’s possible this started before December. :woman_shrugging:t4:

9 Likes

We are being warned of that by none other than the Nobel-prize nominated Dr Peter Hotez, albeit in broader terms for a fourth Coronavirus pandemic.

15 Likes

It’s all statistics. More rolls of the dice, more chances for snake eyes. So, basically, yes. Goddamit.

14 Likes

We seem to have dodged the feared MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 hybrid possible from the World Cup in Qatar, (which was apparently next door to a camel beauty contest :man_facepalming:). There were some odd illnesses reported but so far the WHO has nothing new to say on the topic of MERS.

It’s always a little early to breathe a sigh of relief, but so far…

17 Likes

Early for that yet. Still watching.

13 Likes

“That’s why I get so annoyed at all the phoney-baloney Covid origin stories, because it takes our eyes off the prize – that we’re not actually doing the surveillance needed to determine when the next big one’s going to erupt.”

OK, but then…

According to Hotez, the key to preventing the next big pandemic can be found within one animal in particular – bats, which can host myriad viruses, from the coronavirus to Ebola

“We need to have a thorough landscaping exercise of bats across the face of Asia…

He’s correct that we need to do more to stop the spread of misinformation, but this scientist and this reporter need to do better.

4 Likes

from

16 Likes

So I’m reading comments under any story or official announcement about the driving bans in Buffalo and surrounding areas due to the storm.

You literally just have to replace snow with covid and the comments are the same. No one is going to control me. They are only doing this to ruin the economy. Etc, etc…

What is with people not willing to come together or try and help their community?

13 Likes

Welcome to Neoliberal Hyperindividualistic Hellscape!

17 Likes

We all know Fauci made the "snow” in China and shipped it to the US in chemtrails and is being paid by Bill Gates to weaken American’s immune system.

10 Likes

Not exactly at the top of my list of travel destinations…

5 Likes

Authorities said they would also “optimise” visa arrangements for foreigners wishing to come to China for work and study, as well as family visits and reunions.

It’s unclear if that includes tourist visas, but officials said a pilot programme would begin for international cruise ships.

One of the effects of opening visits for family will be an increase in those who can perform tomb-sweeping.

I might have thought China learned from the rest of us about cruise ships.

5 Likes
5 Likes

There is a certain core segment that have stubbornly refused to learn about cruise ships.

9 Likes

do keep in mind that, on many news sites, the posts are written by agitators as if they were members of the community and they have an explicit agenda to undermine people’s sense of the world

i suspect that some of the bigger news media groups (ex. sinclair) let them run rampant on purpose because the owners have similar goals

these are also the same people, organizations, and bots who harass people on twitter. they shouldn’t be taken as being a representative sample of people actually living in buffalo

10 Likes

Misleading headline, btw.

11 Likes