Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Anyone know if I can get a booster at 5 months after the last shot instead of the 6 I hear? I have travel coming up & things look to be getting worse.

9 Likes

Ontario :canada: is allowing a booster dose at 3 months if you are in a high risk category. That includes health care workers.

12 Likes

I meet the criteria- but am not in that fair country.

11 Likes

FDA says.

Individuals who are 6 years of age and older may receive a single booster dose with either the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, Bivalent or the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19, Bivalent at least 2 months after either:

• Completion of a primary series with any FDA-authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine.

or

• The most recent booster dose with any FDA-authorized or approved monovalent COVID-19 vaccine.
10 Likes

It’s a shame that Ontario :canada: didn’t continue the policy for some vaccinations that they had in the early 2000’s. In earlier flu shot campaigns, you basically showed up and no questions were asked, mostly because they didn’t want anyone discouraged from getting the vaccine.

12 Likes

I was able to get the bivalent dose early. That may be because public response to getting another booster was lower than expected. :weary:

11 Likes

Estimated Global Proportions of Individuals With Persistent Fatigue, Cognitive, and Respiratory Symptom Clusters Following Symptomatic COVID-19 in 2020 and 2021 | Neurology | JAMA | JAMA Network Original article

Results A total of 1.2 million individuals who had symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection were included (mean age, 4-66 years; males, 26%-88%). In the modeled estimates, 6.2% (95% uncertainty interval [UI], 2.4%-13.3%) of individuals who had symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection experienced at least 1 of the 3 Long COVID symptom clusters in 2020 and 2021, including 3.2% (95% UI, 0.6%-10.0%) for persistent fatigue with bodily pain or mood swings, 3.7% (95% UI, 0.9%-9.6%) for ongoing respiratory problems, and 2.2% (95% UI, 0.3%-7.6%) for cognitive problems after adjusting for health status before COVID-19, comprising an estimated 51.0% (95% UI, 16.9%-92.4%), 60.4% (95% UI, 18.9%-89.1%), and 35.4% (95% UI, 9.4%-75.1%), respectively, of Long COVID cases. The Long COVID symptom clusters were more common in women aged 20 years or older (10.6% [95% UI, 4.3%-22.2%]) 3 months after symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection than in men aged 20 years or older (5.4% [95% UI, 2.2%-11.7%]). Both sexes younger than 20 years of age were estimated to be affected in 2.8% (95% UI, 0.9%-7.0%) of symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections. The estimated mean Long COVID symptom cluster duration was 9.0 months (95% UI, 7.0-12.0 months) among hospitalized individuals and 4.0 months (95% UI, 3.6-4.6 months) among nonhospitalized individuals. Among individuals with Long COVID symptoms 3 months after symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection, an estimated 15.1% (95% UI, 10.3%-21.1%) continued to experience symptoms at 12 months.

6.2% is higher than most other studies have reported, and may be due to definitions and reporting strategies. We still have a lot to learn, but the takeaway in general is that a buttload of people are dealing with this, many more will, and we have no answers. Other takeaway is that hospitalization significantly increases your risk, vaccines reduce risk of hospitalizations, therefore, vaccines are good. Before the antivaxxers get a hold of this and start twisting it.

18 Likes

So this made me happy today. We were inside but the CO2 level was almost at outside levels.

Good ventilation and a couple huge doors open for semi trucks coming and going.

We worked without masks as long as no one was within 50 feet.

13 Likes

Good luck! I hope your precautions pay off with a nice paycheck and no COVID

13 Likes

Oh god, someone somewhere is doing this again…

12 Likes

See previous post about incidence of long covid. Holy shit that would be a hell of a lot of cases!

14 Likes
11 Likes

It is very dangerous to question the official line. This could get interesting pretty quickly.

9 Likes

Overheard today.

“Why are you here? I thought you were sick.”

“I am but I was told it was required that I come to work.”

From the employee standpoint, I get it, people need to work and can not afford to take any unpaid days off.

From the employer’s standpoint, bite me, let your employee stay home to keep the rest of your company healthy.

13 Likes

COVID Data Tracker Weekly Review | CDC

7 Likes

The pandemic is worse than ever before here in Japan. We are at around 200k to 250k new cases per day, and the death toll is upwards of 450 per day. We have had similar upticks in cases before (particularly last August), but the number of deaths is setting new records with each passing day.

12 Likes

Not sure if it is due to the same variant, but based on reports like this, it’s not surprising. The virus keeps adapting, and many people have stopped fighting, tracking, or testing. I hope HCWs can hold on until a universal vaccine is available to protect them!

14 Likes

I really don’t understand why we are seeing worse outcomes with mortality now. The number of hospitalizations is down compared to past waves (though still trending upward), but deaths are up.

The only explanation that I can think of is that there must be a lot more cases that are going undetected now (but why not more hospitalizations?). The trends are all bad and the New Year holiday probably threw gas on the fire. And, of course, the government is so done with this…

8 Likes

Unlike a lot of viruses, COVID is exhibiting worse outcomes with sequential infections. So people who are getting it for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time are in ever increasing danger.

17 Likes

Come to think of it, a lot of the young people I know who have had two or fewer shots are on their second or third infections now.

12 Likes