Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Well, shit. Hope it’s mild and short.

10 Likes

Dangit! Best of luck, @docosc !

9 Likes

I hope it will realise soon that it is no match for you, and does stop trying to do anything beyond feeling cruddy for a day or so.

All the best. Hope you can take it slow and look at it with the same scientific yet forcefully and realistically opinionated mindset as you do on everything else related to that virus.

I know I can’t do much but root for you and your family, but this I do.

9 Likes

You’ve been kicking COVID’s ass up and down the block for over three years. It was bound to get in a cheap shot eventually.

I hope that you have a restful and uneventful recuperation before you kick COVID to the curb where it belongs.

Keep us updated, but rest comes first! And self-care comes second!

14 Likes

The recovery metrics on these charts are based on a sample of mobile phone data.

They are computed by counting the number of unique mobile phones in a city’s downtown area in the specified time period, and then dividing it by the number of unique visitors during the equivalent time period in 2019. For example, the March 2023 - May 2023 time period is compared to the March 2019 - May 2019 time period.

A recovery metric greater than 100% means that for the selected inputs, the mobile device activity increased relative to the comparison period. A value less than 100% means the opposite, that the city’s downtown has not recovered to pre-COVID activity levels.

9 Likes

Meh, went to my routine cardiologist visit this morning, only a couple staff wearing a mask.

My doctor, tops in his field and very well respected by his patients and colleagues, came in the room, saw my N95 and asked if I was okay because of the mask. Yes, just trying to stay that way. He offered to put on his mask but honestly at the point what’s the point.

My wife is at her Doctor appointment this morning, same experience.

My doctor did say the largest hospital system in the Detroit metropolitan area was not seeing an uptick in covid so there is that. I trust him, he’s never lied to me about anything and he’s the most liberal doctor I know.

But we’re still masking indoors in public spaces.

@docosc all the best, hope you heal quickly with no lasting problems.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Shit.

I mean, thank you for alerting me of this research.

I’ve been experiencing blue toes (including even sub-dermal bleeding) while standing for a long time, and had an odyssey through diagnostics, including differential diagnostics between the Scilla of medication side effects and the Charybdis of auto-immune syndromes. None of which was found to be the cause, according to various tests.

I’ll look into this when I return home in a couple of weeks. And I’ll get into contact with out local long COVID service practitioner.

6 Likes

“‘Underwhelming’: NIH trials fail to test meaningful long Covid treatments — after 2.5 years and $1 billion”

In better news…

8 Likes

Meanwhile, as fall approaches,

Buckle down. (IMHO) This won’t be as bad as the peak hellishness, but the fatigue and denial and idiocy will hamstring every effort to control the (what will become) seasonal covid/flu season will make this much worse than it needs to be. Vaccines and common sense, people. They are good.

15 Likes

Had two medical appointments in the past week. Both doctors wore masks, but none of the office staff did. I’m still masking indoors in public areas, while my family keeps arranging gatherings indoors at restaurants. :woman_facepalming:t4: Gotta find something better than this:

Emily Carey Eating GIF by Luis Ricardo

11 Likes

All signs point to a late summer COVID wave

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/17/covid-19-cases-2023-uptick-where-why

Nice little interactive map.

5 Likes

I was just flipping through the news channels, for some reason Fox was going on about the dangers of masks.

Not sure why they’re worried all of a sudden but one of the hosts said, with certainty, that masks cause eye styes and cysts.

They seem to think mask mandates are coming back.

6 Likes

They may be wearing them incorrectly.

4 Likes

ummmm, well, actually

What The Hell Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

5 Likes

wrong kind of mask???

Vintage Z GIF

4 Likes

the princess bride GIF

8 Likes
7 Likes

This is a good time and place to ask, then:

Is Moderna the only updated vaccine coming in late September, or will we once again have/get to choose between slightly different formulations from different manufacturers?

7 Likes

The new shots are designed to target the XBB variants — strains of the virus descended from the original Omicron variant — which are now the most common form in circulation.
Three vaccine manufacturers, Moderna, Pfizer and Novavax, are expected to offer the revised shots for this fall, which virtually all children and adults will be eligible for.

10 Likes