Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Thanks! Any insights yet into why someone might choose one over another?

6 Likes

No experience with Novavax, the other two are pretty interchangeable.

6 Likes

Hey, I could say the same thing, and I’m not anything in the medical field!

1 Like

Ars got a bit more info

Both EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 are in the XBB family, with EG.5 related to XBB.1.9.2 and FL.1.5.1 related to XBB.1.9.1. (Some of these subvariants have been given unofficial, mythological nicknames by a scientist on social media. Ars will only use the established Pango Lineage classification system endorsed by the World Health Organization and other major health organizations to describe variant lineages.)

Booo! Ars is no fun zone!

8 Likes

Wouldn’t we want the EG.5 one, which I think is Eris (or is EG.5.1 Eris)? Geez, some of us need those common names, thankyouverymuch Ars!

2 Likes

Yay! Children can have them too. I was concerned about that. We’re back in school

9 Likes

Did someone say Moderna?

This is fun.

2 Likes

Imagine how much additional research that could have funded.

7 Likes

… there was statistical evidence that Moderna was somewhat more effective two years ago

9 Likes

I didn’t want to assume, as this is at least somewhat a new formulation, but it looks like it might be marginally better again.

4 Likes

I couldn’t decide whether to call it “slightly better” or “significantly better,” since it depends entirely on whether we measure from the top or the bottom

Pfizer and Moderna both prevent almost all deaths from COVID, so they’re just the same

BUT ALSO we’re twice as likely to die from COVID after taking Pfizer as after taking Moderna, so they’re very different

The same numbers say both those things :confused:

3 Likes

That’s where the p-values matter. If the difference is large but not statistically significant, then the difference might be from random factors. If the difference is small but statistically significant, then the decision is easier.

The ratio remaining consistent month after month seemed to confirm it was a real thing :thinking:

It would be different if they switched back and forth randomly like presidential polls :crazy_face:

EDIT: oh wait, they did do that, see below

I found the last archive.org snapshot where OurWorldInData broke the numbers down by manufacturer

How do death rates from COVID-19 differ between people who are vaccinated and those who are not? - Our World in Data

Remarkably, the “interactive version” still works

We can see Pfizer and Moderna did switch places

It’s easier to see with a “logarithmic scale”

4 Likes

Oh come on!

5 Likes
7 Likes

Somebody is paying attention.

7 Likes

“Monitoring? We don’t need no stinking monitoring!”

7 Likes
7 Likes

I’m seeing a lot more masks today than I’ve seen in the past year.

6 Likes