Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

…Something about that description doesn’t quite seem right.

No one in New York drove

16 Likes

In fact, the Waldkindergarten group in this particular Kindergarten, and the Nestgruppe, are the only ones who are - supposedly - not included when everyone else has to go into quarantine. Which is the case as soon as two cases per institution pop up in this Bundesland. So, about 70 kids go into quarantine for five days minimum. That is, they can end quarantine after getting a negative PCR result performed on day 5 earliest, if they are free of symptoms. However, “symptoms” are not specified in the official document, and it you have a closer look at the RKI website, the sniffels are a symptom for kids. Which would mean, to take a cautious approach, parents would be required by law to keep their kids quarantined for ten days each time two cases pop up in a kindergarten - there is no way a kid in the winter is “free of symptoms”. No. Fucking. Way.

Which means: screw this. Parents aren’t doing it, and this means: all the kids are going to be exposed. And even when we assume a very high chance of not getting, as an individual child, infected by each index case coming in, and without calculating the odds, my statistical Bauchgefühl tells me that all kids are going to have Omicron this season. (Which I say will last until the end of April, approximately.)

At this point, it doesn’t even matter if they split the remaining 70 kids (see above, those not part of the Waldkindergartengruppe or Nestgruppe) in two groups to reduce contacts. I thus will advise the parents council they can spare the Kindergarten staff the additional effort it requires.

Anyone wanting to try to convince me otherwise? @Simon_Clift, whatcha say, statistically?

I admit I’m not good at actually doing the science to it, Bayesian or traditionally ‘Gaussian’. I just have developed an understanding and said statistical Bauchgefühl (a gut feeling - sounds better in German, TBH).

5 Likes
21 Likes
16 Likes

Just FTR, if your mask did not come with one of the ear-saving clips I’ve seen on this (or another?) topic - my neighbor gave me some of those. 3D printed them. I guess you can find other designs online and ask your local makerspace to print you some.

13 Likes

Lots of variations:

12 Likes
19 Likes

If you don’t want to be constrained by society’s rules, then you don’t have to participate in society.

16 Likes

Looking for a mask that intimidate and possibly protect your face from things thrown at it by anti-vaxxers/maskers?

14 Likes

Waldkindergarten seems to have huge benefits for kid’s microbiomes, both internal and external, so benefits for allergies and immune systems…

6 Likes

21 Likes

You know that women having fun together as a group, but feeling the need to be polite to the young man who decides to sit next to them, are not necessarily ‘hitting on you’, right?

And even if they were, because why not have fun with the man young enough to be their son and clueless enough to intrude on their enjoyment, how is that any different than how young women are treated everywhere they go by men old enough to be their dads?

13 Likes

Understand Mr Rogers GIF

13 Likes

And even by men old enough to be their grand-dads. :nauseated_face:

14 Likes

Anyone wanting to try to convince me otherwise? @Simon_Clift, whatcha say, statistically?

… every time I look at back of the envelope models they say “case… case… boom!”. The only effective controls when you have explosive behaviour and a long feedback lag tend to be shutting down the risky activity entirely. At least by splitting the class you’ll end up only exposing half the staff. If it’s per institution that you’re then shut down then it makes no difference to capacity, but might save on de facto final infections.

My personal solution, at least until stats in Ontario :canada: get back to a low boil, is for everyone to stay home. All of these “enhanced screening” tools and unacceptably fallible RAT’s being pushed on the public is simply a tacit admission of failure at the government level.

At this point I’m through looking for ways to pretend life is “normal”. Four more weeks of this await us, best case. We’ll pick up the pieces when it’s done.

Edit: Oh, and I have no patience for government officials who plead that the change of the change of the change of the total (hospital) cases going negative for a day is a sign we can safely return to school. The third derivative? Really? :persevere:

15 Likes

He lost the latest court attempt to be allowed to stay in Australia, and was deported/fled the country last night.

Good. Entitled dickhead.

16 Likes
14 Likes

They are invited to tour the Covid wards… it’s up to them whether they wear a mask or not.

12 Likes

Got my booster yesterday! Sore shoulder, and kind of wiped out a bit today, but nothing too bad!

27 Likes

Between that and vaccinations I must be damned near immune! :slight_smile:

3 Likes