Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Yeah. However, I have to acknowledge this is not possible for everyone. Some even
My neighbors, e.g., can keep their child out of kindergarten, because one of them is working remotely. The other one is an opera singer. No WFH possible. And high exposure environment, despite all efforts to manage that by the employer And of course, caught Delta despite being vaccinated.

Considering the kindergarten situation, the kids are now the problem, not the employees. Those have had their third shot, or their second plus and infection, or an infection and a shot. By current regulations, they are not obligated to quarantine after contact. When they get infected, again, they won’t be able to have two groups of children anyway and would have to close down, since they are short on staff, and group requirements on staff per child ratio wouldn’t be met.

So, we are back on the question if putting the children in two groups has a significant effect on reducing the probability of two infections per group (which requires the rest of the group to quarantine) vs. not seperating them. Cost of separation: see above, child/caretaker ratio required by law.
And my Bierdeckelrechnung says: cost/benefit relation for this is making the separation to heavy on the cost side.

12 Likes

Death toll tops 550…

homer simpson episode 3 GIF

8 Likes

Concerns over aid workers bringing COVID in to Tonga

Tonga is concerned about the risk of aid deliveries spreading Covid-19 to the island, which is Covid-free.
“We don’t want to bring in another wave - a tsunami of Covid-19,” [Curtis Tu’ihalangingie] told Reuters by telephone.

23 Likes

There were over 20 Million new cases of Covid this week.

The latest wave is spreading rapidly around the world.
source- COVID-19 Map - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

17 Likes
11 Likes
25 Likes
8 Likes
13 Likes

Good read for anyone who is still willing to discuss with people talking about rather having a natural infection, because Omicron is “weaker”.

15 Likes

The western red part of NY is throwing tantrums again

10 Likes

That is a really, really distressing graphic. I can sum up the “why” in two words: profit motive.

19 Likes
13 Likes

COVID-19 patients show more signs of brain damage than people with Alzheimer’s disease

22 Likes

Just an FYI for some folks, I have found that a simple strip of medical tape at the top of my mask helps considerably for a couple of hours if I want to prevent air from escaping the top.

16 Likes
16 Likes
17 Likes
17 Likes
21 Likes

Common sense advice called “unrealistic.” :woman_facepalming:t4:

Angry Work GIF

14 Likes

The good news here in Ontario :canada: is that the boosters are starting to kick in. December 14 was the start of the booster push (this gave the Omicron variant a good two weeks to run rampant).

The wierd/bad news is that somehow the hospitalization and ICU rates, which we have been told to watch as key indicators of progress, are positively screaming “back to school” for most of the people in charge of the actual decision. /s

12 Likes