Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

7 Likes
13 Likes

Based on what I read, and I think also heard on the Coronavirus Update podcast, opening the doors and windows is a really good idea. Turning on the fan, not so much.

Aerosol droplets are re-circulated by a fan. At our offices, there is a standing warning against using any fans due to that. Depending on their size sink to the ground pretty fast (minutes, not hours) if undisturbed. But they don’t necessarily settle, and may also stick to dust particles and thus can be moved by the fan.

It’s getting late here, I won’t look for the science to support my arguments now. If anyone wants to do that, please do. Otherwise, I’ll be back.

4 Likes

These are exhaust fans that exhaust to the outside.

10 Likes

I don’t know what kind of fan you have in your bathroom but most of them suck the air up out of the room and exhaust them outside, thereby drawing more fresh air into the room, rather than recirculate the air.

@tcg550
Coca Cola Coke Sticker - Coca Cola Coke Soda - Discover & Share GIFs

9 Likes

possibly more than anything else right now, this makes me want to tear my hair out. at this point covid is a completely human caused disaster.

maybe like the way the word “restriction” needs to be replaced everywhere with “protection”, “cases” needs to be replaced with “sick people” and “dead americans” so that the real meaning is clear

11 Likes

Yeah, nobody wants the poo smell recirculating :smiley:

2 Likes

So I’m watching Andy Griffith last night because 57 Channels and Nothin’ On, 57 Channels and Nothin’ On

And there was a 2 minute documentary that sums up the people in my county.

8 Likes
11 Likes

50 points each from Jellyfish House, and no puddings for a fortnight?

8 Likes
6 Likes

Liar liar pants on fire?

6 Likes

As I’ve said a few times before on this forum, I really can’t figure out China’s endgame with their zero covid policy, especially at this point in the pandemic with the virus already endemic in most of the world. Early lockdowns served the useful purpose of buying time to better understand the virus and get mitigations in place, including preparing medical facilities and developing/testing vaccines. But right now China has about 90% of its population vaccinated and while they have new mRNA vaccines in development it’s unlikely they’ll soon have anything that can completely stop the spread. So what are they gaining from all this pain? If they aren’t just trying to buy more time, then do they plan on pursuing zero covid forever?

6 Likes

The Party doesn’t seem to like changing the narrative, why I have no idea, and it would just be me talking out my rear to suppose, so I’ll leave it at that.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can’t figure ours out either, so it’s not just China… :frowning_face: I think Ontario :canada:'s is something along the lines of pretending there’s no pandemic until either our Premier gets re-elected, or he gets exiled to staff the base at Alert, Nunavut, or a π-variant makes our little “what COVID, eh?” fantasy utterly untenable.

Recently in the Toronto Star…

11 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04661-w

That’s one for the @justsaysinmice Twitter account, but it’s still promising:
nasal spray works against SARS-CoV-2 IN MICE.

First experiments showed that a nasal spray blocking a membrane protein can significantly weaken an infection. The prophylactic regimen prevented the mice from losing weight and dying from COVID-19. Treatment 12 hours after infection was still effective.

10 Likes

The details on vaccination in China in this article were interesting:

I guess time will tell if the lockdowns plus more vaccinations will make a difference. With the boosters targeting variants after they become a concern (and effectiveness only lasting 4-6 months) cycles like this will continue.

12 Likes

Democrats noted that some people have shown up to emergency rooms after taking too much ivermectin, often because they purchased the de-worming medication meant for livestock.

The sponsor of SB2188, Sen. Frank Nicelely of Strawberry Plains, said no matter what people believe about ivermectin, his bill should improve safety.

“It’s a lot safer to go to your pharmacist and let him tell you how much ivermectin to take than it is to go to the co-op and guess what size horse you are,” he said.

15 Likes

Pop Tv Wtf GIF by Schitt's Creek

11 Likes

Pharmacist: your proper dose is zero. Next?

14 Likes