Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

12 Likes

Stephen Colbert Adult Humor GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

I hope he gets well soon.

10 Likes
8 Likes

At least when we had smoking on airplanes there were separate sections. I would be much more comfortable flying if there were Covid and non-Covid masked and non-masked sections.

2 Likes

Can we get different planes? Antimaskers 21:00h to 5:00h takeoff, rest of the day for responsible people?

Or is this a discrimination of an intellectually challenged part of the population which would not stand legal scrutiny?

ETA: because it is this timeline, I think I better point out that I AM NOT SERIOUS ON THIS, gentlemen and ladies.

9 Likes

You might not be serious on this, but I’m in your corner.

I’d rather sit through second-hand tobacco smoke than travel with unvaxxed, untested, unmasked Covid carriers.

5 Likes

This is not what “lockdown” is supposed to mean…

8 Likes
14 Likes

This is not just from an altruistic standpoint. Folks like this who harbor replicating virus for an extended period of time provide a much better medium for it to experiment with recombination and mutation to better suit it to bypassing our defenses. Out of pure self-interest, we need to keep folks like this from getting covid. Even at the cost of, um, very mild inconvenience. Not much of a rallying cry, is it?

19 Likes

I saw a few articles about that problem last year. They raised concerns about getting more vaccine doses to countries where fewer people with HIV had access to treatment, because COVID could remain in their systems for a long time:

Not sure if there’s been any study or report on vaccination figures since then to show if that effort was successful (or making progress, based on the number of new mutations).

15 Likes

And then there’s this.

But thank god there’s this…

And none of the cases in Scotland, where the first cases were widely reported, had received COVID-19 vaccines, eliminating that as a possible cause.

But then there’s this…

Health officials in Scotland have speculated that a common adenovirus could be causing more severe disease in some young, immunologically naïve children after they had been restricted from social mixing during the pandemic.

I can’t wait until our local Facebook group gets fed that line.

8 Likes

come on no GIF by Shalita Grant

You know, it’s soooo funny, in Germany everyone and their dog was complaining about dat teeeeewwiblle lockdown they had to suffer…

If I would get a nickel for every time someone uses the term “lockdown” for the half-assed measure they had around here I could probably nickel-plate the entire German car production of this very long 2020.

dave grohl GIF

15 Likes
10 Likes

And yet I am already seeing “but the mothers did and that’s the reason!” I hate this timeline.

17 Likes

that’s just baffling, lifted after 4 days. what a way to make sure people never listen to directions on masking again.

Based on city data, the mask mandate could be dropped, as hospitalizations had dropped and cases had leveled off… According to Bettigole, COVID hospitalizations in Philadelphia peaked on Sunday at 82, a steep increase from a week earlier when there were 42 people hospitalized. As of Thursday night, the number was back down to 65

they do know that hospitalization lags infection? and that a short term drop over a couple of days doesn’t necessarily mean anything about the next few weeks?

wild.

12 Likes

Like night follows day, at least here in Ontario :canada: with deaths at around 4 times the level they were before the Omicron wave.

With predictable knock-on effects…

A Star survey of the province’s 14 largest hospital systems reveals that more than 2,900 health-care workers are currently off sick due to contracting or being exposed to COVID.

9 Likes

19 Likes

Yeah. Soon as I saw “adenovirus”, I predicted the antivaxxers would immediately start blaming it on the Astra-Zeneca and Janssen vaccines :frowning_with_open_mouth:.

7 Likes
13 Likes
10 Likes