Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

In the U.S. it meant “no inside seating at restaurants”

12 Likes

I thought that was “Tyranny”.

11 Likes

Only during the winter.

11 Likes
5 Likes

angry table GIF

4 Likes
11 Likes

This seems to be good news but there is still the problem of getting the pill within 5 days.

I wonder if antiviral pills will ever be over the counter.

10 Likes

While I am angry, very angry, I can see his point.

Also, I like this:

so instead of opening a debate on vaccines with every patient or parent, doctors might say, “It’s time for Charlie’s measles jab” rather than, “Would you like to make an appointment for Charlie’s measles jab?”. Engaging in greater depth would happen with those who have questions.

The doc will have something to say to this, wontcha, @docosc ? :hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

13 Likes

That’s exactly the approach we take. Vaccination is treated as a normal part of the visit. Call it “opt out” as opposed to “opt in.” Studies have shown it works better. Not perfectly, of course, but better.

15 Likes

This video went so viral that even the Great Firewall of China is having trouble blocking it:

The residents of Beijing are getting pretty nervous that they might have a similar lockdown soon.

11 Likes
9 Likes

A little gallows humour. I liked this for reminding me of the day that the bold sign “NO :fish: IN THE MICROWAVE” on the door of the trading floor microwave was ignored… the ensuing fuss only just avoided being dealt with by the CEO before things settled down. :grin:

How I miss being in an office … not…

9 Likes
6 Likes
25 Likes

Update on the pediatric hepatitis thingy:

The primary suspect continues to be an adenovirus, though the common family of viruses are not known to cause hepatitis in healthy children. Of the roughly 170 cases reported, at least 74 have tested positive for an adenovirus, with 18 specifically testing positive for adenovirus type 41.

Almost 50% (+) for any adenovirus, ~10% (+) for type 41. Not exactly an open-and-shut case.

Further, it’s also possible that an adenovirus is just part of the story, and a co-infection may explain the unusual cases. One possibility is that a co-infection of SARS-CoV-2 and an adenovirus is behind the cases. The WHO noted that 20 children tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 and found another 19 to have a co-infection of SARS-CoV-2 and adenovirus. But researchers are also not ruling out the possibility that the liver injuries are a rare outcome from an omicron infection alone or an infection with a yet unidentified SARS-CoV-2 variant.

Sure, why not?

angry zach braff GIF

18 Likes

My tv says VP Harris has tested positive.

12 Likes
15 Likes

Nice acronym.

16 Likes

Someone at rehearsal last night (a young adult) asked if we could possibly sing our concerts next month mask-less.

The rest of us were stunned. Yes, it’s hard singing in choral-designed masks, but no, we don’t want to get our fellow singers sick. Easy calculus, for most of us.

19 Likes
16 Likes