Convicted arsonist named as acting fire department chief

Originally published at: Convicted arsonist named as acting fire department chief | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Um, what’s the worst that could happen? Holy F’ing shitballs…

16 Likes

The town’s leaders don’t seem to understand that pyromania is not a job qualification for a firefighter.

19 Likes

Overqualified for a Job? Tips to Overcome the Obstacles

“The chiefs of two neighboring departments, Cahokia and Dupo, said they supported the change and had full confidence in Jerame Simmons as acting chief. He had been a devoted volunteer firefighter at area departments for years, they said. They added that their departments would help fill any gaps in coverage left by the resignations.”

Sounds like something there’s else his department didn’t like about him. The previous chief was let go due to undisclosed reasons. There is more to this story…

“(Simmons) has since been pardoned by Gov. J.B. Pritzker of Illinois Simmons is also the son of the longtime director of Saint Claire County Emergency Management Agency.”

https://www.firehouse.com/careers-education/news/21250961/firefighters-quit-when-former-arsonist-is-named-acting-il-fire-chief

Nepotism jealously caused a few to quit? Seems Simmon’s arson has been atoned for long ago.

14 Likes

Given the choice I think former-arsonist-turned-firefighter beats firefigher-moonlighting-as-serial-arsonist.

13 Likes

Fahrenheit 451?

Fahrenheit 451 Movie GIF

8 Likes

Oh come on, that’s basically the premise of It Takes a Thief.

15 Likes

This seems odd in the context that he was already the assistant fire chief and apparently no one had an issue. There must be more to the story…

30 Likes

Well, I mean yeah. Duh! He’s the fire chief! He’s supposed to know fire.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s clearly a story here not being told (probably a whole bunch of stories…) that makes sense of this. I mean, he’s not just “a convicted arsonist” - he’s already the Assistant Chief of the fire department…

17 Likes

Maybe they don’t like his chili? :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

see also: financial regulators…

7 Likes

I wonder if he’s sympathetic to those “burn it all down!” folks?

They couldn’t find a single other qualified person from within the department?

1 Like

The Rest of the Story is in the full article- the former arsonist’s dad used to be mayor, and is now the director of the county emergency management agency. Arson boy was appointed assistant chief without consulting the (then) chief, then they fired the chief and made arson boy the fire chief. Pure nepotism all the way.

https://youtu.be/phlgdPRCaXA

30 Likes

Well, at least they’ll have plenty of work to do.

2 Likes

Nice-henhouse

17 Likes

Factually, maybe. But then there are opinions.

2 Likes

15 Likes

Fools. Getting fired is exactly what he wants.

6 Likes