Convicted felon Donald Trump's bizarre shark-battery question baffles MIT expert

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/10/convicted-felon-donald-trumps-bizarre-shark-battery-question-baffles-mit-expert.html

14 Likes

Good news is that we have a new way to unnerve Trump at public events. Get one person in the crowd to dress up like Left Shark and he’ll be too terrified to take the stage.

IMG_1473

43 Likes

Donald Trump’s relationship to MIT is that his uncle was a professor there, which means that he must be a scientific genius. /s

24 Likes

At least as early as 2018, she told us that Trump is terrified of sharks & made her watch Shark Week with him

Need to get a bunch of trans folk to show up with their BLÅHAJ :joy:

37 Likes

Since no definitive answer yet exists, couldn’t this be played out IRL with trump, a battery, and a shark to close the issue? I’m sure a few of us are curious of the outcome.
(ya know, for science sake)

30 Likes

Oh my fucking god.

16 Likes

It’s like we’re watching his brain turn to mush in real time.

Either that or the guy who programs the teleprompter really hates him.

32 Likes

Somebody should ask him about his position on the Ampules of Lorenzini…

13 Likes

Sadly most marine batteries are both low-voltage, direct current and water-tight so it would take a pretty exceptional set of circumstances for Trump to be electrocuted this way. Sharks can attack people, but that’s pretty unusual too (as he’d know if he actually paid attention during Shark Week).

The good news is I’m pretty sure the bloviating weirdo can’t swim.

25 Likes

The man refuses to google for basic historical facts. Electric boats were routinely used in the 1800s. It’s infuriating that he believes he’s the first person to consider them sinking. If people are going to be idiots on their own time, that’s all well and good, everyone needs a hobby, but for an idiot to have so many people believe so deeply in the Emperor’s new clothes is continually staggering.

16 Likes

Jessica Walter Archer GIF

16 Likes

Are the writers form Saturday Night Live moonlighting as speech writers?

9 Likes

I mean, diesel subs are basically electric boats. The engine is just a generator for running at snorkel depth or on the surface to recharge the batteries.

24 Likes

And congrats to Stable Diffusion for that convincing headline pic.
It looks like the trompmeister gonna get the best of that naughty fishy with his new, man-size handsies.

In two-and-a-half feet of water.

6 Likes

It’s one thing to read the transcript and think, “WTF???” but then you go and actually watch the clip and realize (horrifically) that millions of people are going to vote for this moron.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

33 Likes

Gives a whole new meaning to “jump the shark.”

16 Likes

Are they somewhere near the Islets of Langerhans?

11 Likes

Trump the shark.

13 Likes
24 Likes

What the hell is he rambling about? Based on this calculation, it’s about 110 meters (~ 120 yards) to be safety distance for 240V, or about 77 meters (~ 84 yards) for 120V. The fool doesn’t get it that he will be electrocuted whether he stays or jump unless he scales that 84 yards before the current gets to him. Also, shark has electric sensor organ that can pick up signal from from quite away. This high voltage this close can either turn them away or make them come closer.

Sharks can sense the tiniest changes in this electrical current, down to one-billionth of a volt [source: Fields]. If two AA batteries were connected 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) apart, a shark could detect if one ran out [source: Viegas].

So to answer his question, you do neither. Find a lifeboat and jump on it and hope it can insulate you from the electrified sea water near the source.

Again, the bullshitter didn’t let facts get in the way when he’s talking about a hypothetical crisis. Always fearmongering but I guess it’s on brand.

8 Likes