Cook whips up a batch of 1886-recipe Coca-Cola

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/27/cook-whips-up-a-batch-of-1886.html

2 Likes

At the base of the Inca trail, they’ll sell you a huge bag for like $1 American…at least they did in '01. I wouldn’t have made it otherwise…

12 Likes

Yeah, I’m disappointed they didn’t make the recipe with the actual “coke” part.

There is a debate I sometimes have with fellow coffee drinkers about whether decaf coffee tastes bad because the caffeine makes a difference in the flavor, or if the decaffeinating process does something to the beans regardless of the caffeine. I’d be curious to try both coked-up and non-coked-up Coca Cola.

7 Likes

the crew stay as true to the recipe as modernity and their finances will allow

It bears clarifying that the “and Friends” portion of the channel name refers to us the viewers rather than some unseen crew. He starts every episode with “Welcome Friends”. The show otherwise is just Glen and his wife.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I used to work with a dude that drank 3 liters a day of Coke, his funeral was nice, people said nice things about him…

5 Likes

It isn’t your guts it rots, it’s your brain.

Please don’t ask me how I know this

4 Likes
5 Likes

80c5aa6b1ac8afeb3794bd54fd707432fc8de9f8_1_500x500

5 Likes

Re: Coca-Cola recipe

4 Likes

I wonder about that with tea too. Decaff tea sucks. Yet I happily drink both caffeinated and non-caffeinated coke. (Haven’t done the cocaine/no-cocaine taste test yet, though.)

1 Like

Half the time it’s because the decaf pot has been sitting there congealing for 8 hours. No one bothers to make sure it’s fresh because, hell, decaf always tastes awful, right?

1 Like

Neroli essential oil is something that I had to look up because like it I am small and overly expensive, too.

Oh lordy that stuff reads like 99% woowoo.

1 Like

Glenn and Friends is one of the best channels I’ve found on YouTube - it’s just so relaxing to watch (and the recipes are great). The bags of milk and gallon jugs of maple syrup are there to add extra Canadianosity.

Right now he’s working on replicating real KFC.

3 Likes

For those interested in learning a bit more, Mark Pendergrast’s “For God, Country, and Coca-Cola” is a good (though long) read.

1 Like

I’ve been watching this guy’s channel for awhile now. He’s picked an interesting niche to feature — testing out old-timey recipes. His most recent venture is to try to work out the original recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had a Pepsi.”

Canada is apparently some sort of Heaven on Earth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.