Cookie Monster found OD'd in idling car, charged with child endangerment

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/27/cookie-monster-found-odd-in.html

1 Like

I’d suggest not reading the sad article and imagining the OD mentioned in the headline happened something like this:

21 Likes

Thank you for the warning, seeing as Cookie Monster is my favourite.

11 Likes

It was edibles wasn’t it?

8 Likes

Take it from Cookie Monster: Heroin is a ‘sometimes’ treat.

10 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Ever since the movie Trainspotting, I see the word heroin my instinct is to look away and fast.

6 Likes

17 Likes

So she dropped her child off at another person’s house, then took heroin, presumably intending to drive home while high on heroin but at least not having her child in the car - endangering everyone in the road but specifically not her child.

So she was charged with endangering the one person she specifically avoided endangering.

7 Likes

Having a mom that dresses up like Cookie Monster? How cool is that?

6 Likes

This tragedy brought to you by the letter H and the numbers 9-1-1.

27 Likes

I am Liking that even though it is tragic.

15 Likes

I want to be amused, but can’t.

3 Likes

From the article, dropped her off in yoga pants and a tee-shirt with no shoes or socks in 40 degree weather. And she was found parked outside the house. And the people to whom she relinquished her ward called 911, so it sounds like she was already messed up when dropping the kid off.

I’d like to think she accidentally OD’ed, realized her mistake but still had the sense to get another adult to watch her kid (albeit without enough time to properly dress her kid), then went back to her car to ride it out.

Hope she gets help.

16 Likes

M…MOM? Again!?!

I own that shirt. Long live shirt woot!

1 Like

6 Likes

Ditto.

Was too spot on to not post it…

11 Likes

If I’m understanding the timeline correctly, she:

1. took heroin
  2. realized things weren’t going well
  3. Put on the cookie monster suit?
  4. put the kid in the car and drove
  5. put the kid in the car and fucking drove
  6. dropped kid off with responsible adult
  7. Went back to the car and passed out

I’m not sure ‘sense’ is the right word.

4 Likes

In a same society, we’d treat this woman as someone whose basic needs aren’t being met. The heroine is a means of escaping that pain. By putting her in prison, not only does that experience further deprive her of those needs, the subsequent criminal record and possible permanent separation from her child will only make this worse.

People who get heroine in the hospital for pain get a much stronger and cleaner dose and the vast majority don’t end up addicted. This isn’t about the chemical. This is about what’s wrong with her life that she feels the need to dull the pain so recklessly.

If the US would adopt a legalized heroine plan as Switzerland had, where they no longer criminalized the drug and offered it for free from clinics under professional supervision, where help isn’t forced on people but offered to those who want it, we could eliminate the burdens of for-profit prisons, drug enforcement, and destabilizing nearby countries to drug cartels. Crime from people desperate for their next fix would vanish. And people could turn their life around instead of being offered the dehumanizing death spiral currently in place.

5 Likes