Cooking (not just dinner)

On the subject of never remembering to take pictures, @chgoliz & @XantheStone, here’s the two quarts of yogurt I made to strain into yogurt cheese (thyme & peppercorn), that went into my belly way too quickly.

12 Likes

Yeah, you good.

6 Likes

Ummm okay. The sweet salty is tempting but pineapple on a pizza… umm. I have problems with that.

3 Likes

I’ll have the half with pineapple, you have the half with anchovies…deal?

11 Likes

Are you Icelandic?

5 Likes

That’s cool, I’ll make you plain cheese like the kids get.

I’ve also been known to do sardines with onion jam, or egg with tarragon.

8 Likes

I’m put off by the inclusion of cheese.

Hear me out. I lurrrv a good cheese pizza. But to my tastes, pineapple and anchovies have a certain clarity that cheese just muddles. These are tomato pie toppin’s.

I base this statement, however, on my experience with pizza topped with either pineapple or anchovies. Never had both on the same pie. But hey, coriander is a great fish seasoning and that has some citrusy-ness to it, so pineapple seems like a plausible pairing.

6 Likes

I can dig where you’re coming from. I do a focaccia Andrea Doria that’s cheese-less and heavy on the anchovy, capers and olives. Pungent sharp and briny on top of a light Ligurian focaccia is devine.

I would offer the cheese does not muddle, but brings balance to those high flying notes, a warm blanket to wrap those two feisty lovers. :grin:

10 Likes

Okay, now I want to try it.

8 Likes

9 Likes

It is also known as sardinaira or pizza all’Andrea, after admiral Andrea Doria (1466-1560), whose favorite food was the dish: a slice of bread with olive oil, garlic, and salted anchovy. [Wikipedia]

Why, why do I read this thread before bedtime? I could eat everything in my fridge right now and a part of me would still feel famished for this.

7 Likes

that pizza looks delicious.

pizza and tacos are two of those foods where there are soooooo many different really fantastic variations.

6 Likes

Now I gotta take some pics our next pizza night.

5 Likes

that is either the saddest pizza ever, or a hate crime against a vegan with celiacs. :slight_smile:

oh, I just googled and learned about none pizza left beef…here are some others. too funny.

8 Likes

We had this the other night. It is so delicious.

7 Likes

Yeah, I make that as a side for some entrees, but if I’m snacking pasta (usually some unsauced leftovers), I usually do it up with marinara, lots of mozzarella, some parmesan, and then nuke it gooey. If I’m going all in I’ll press in some fresh garlic, and hit it with some cayenne for a little bite.

Damn, just writing that made me hungry, I think I’m going to be real bad and do up some Ling Ling potstickers, my secret sin.

5 Likes

8 Likes

I don’t like romano AT ALL – I love strong cheeses normally, but this particular one smells like vomit to me – but I’ve always made that dish with parmesan instead and never knew it had an actual name and history…thanks.

4 Likes

While I was following your link and reading the recipe, I happened to be eating a piece of pound cake made with pepper :slight_smile: (in this case, white pepper, but I’m going to try it with black pepper next time. That’s what the recipe actually calls for.) It’s so tasty. Now I think I’ll try toasting the pepper first :slight_smile:

5 Likes

you could also try long pepper, because then you can sell them from the back of your penny farthing at the hippest farmers markets. :slight_smile: