Cooking (not just dinner)

Had to look that up quick. Seriously sounds good!

1 Like

I am nearly half way through my bakery assistant course. Yesterday I brought home with me, 2 loaves of bread, 4 custard tarts and 10 coconut tarts. I love my course.

15 Likes

Nerd alert

Bakers percentages on the loaves, lean or enriched, and final shape?

(“Shut up japhroaig”, is an acceptable answer)

3 Likes

Sorry, can’t answer, we didn’t bake the bread. The cert 2s (my class) swapped custard tarts for bread from the cert 3 class.

1 Like

I feel a certain amount of… Nerdiness… In the future. :grinning:

2 Likes

The stuff I have learn already. Makes me almost never want to buy anything at a bakery again. I have mock cream now, I know what goes into it.

4 Likes

Add green olives.

4 Likes

YES!  

2 Likes

The only things that drives me to a bakery is properly boiled bagels and real sourdough. I just can’t justify keeping a sourdough starter as ANOTHER pet to feed every day, for the one loaf a week I’d make.

Re baking: my wife makes relatively healthy banana or pumpkin muffins most weekends, yumm. With Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips. I said relatively healthy. Once the kids are out of the house I doubt this tradition will continue and it’ll be Friday’s homemade challah with whitefish salad for weekend breakfast.

5 Likes

Sharing a ‘Dr. Connelly’s Vegetable Soup’ recipe from Nourishing Traditions cookbook by Sally Fallon with Dr. Mary G. Enig. This soup is effective for restoring minerals lost in frequent elimination from anxiety, and is purported to also help with back pain and ligament problems and other symptoms of depleted adrenal function.

Dr. Connelly’s Vegetable Soup

Serves four to six

• 4 cups chicken stock or filtered water
  • 4 Tbsps. tomato paste
  • 1 cup french beans (or haricots verts), cut into 1-inch lengths
  • 1 cup finely chopped celery with leaves
  • 2-4 medium zucchini (or courgette, if you’re that way), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbsps parsley, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • sea salt or fish sauce and pepper

Directions

Bring stock or water and tomato paste to a boil, blend with a wire whisk and skim. Reduce heat, add green beans, celery and zucchini and simmer until they are just tender and still green, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and season to taste.

8 Likes

I have been making beans in my zojirushi rice cooker, and so far the experiments with black beans have been terrific. 3:1 water to bean ratio, cook on the brown rice setting, and viola.

Honestly between that little appliance, a hot plate, and a fire pit, I’m good.

10 Likes

How smart is that? I hate pulling out the huge slow cooker just for beans. It takes up so much space and time in the kitchen.

Just the brown rice setting is long enough for dried beans?

4 Likes

But what kind of viola? Could get expensive if I have to use a Stradivari. Can I substitute with a ukelele?

12 Likes

For small black beans, it appears so. I like them a touch Al dente, so if you prefer softer maybe 3.5:1, and preboil the water.

1 Like

Achievement unlocked:
Pointing out a deliberate misspelling Japhroaig has been doing for decades that noone else ever caught on to.

You can declare bingo when you collect them all.

:smiling_imp::octopus::smiling_imp::octopus::smiling_imp::octopus::smiling_imp::octopus:

4 Likes

Flashback - 11 grade Honor’s English. Short story assignment. I used et voila as part of a character’s dialog.

My teacher docked me points for it being misspelled. When I enquired about this as it was spelled correctly (I went to the library to make sure) then I lost points because it was english class.

Jerk.

14 Likes

It’s a good thing you weren’t in a foyer eating poutine with creme fraiche. That would have got you Zwei secret probation.

6 Likes

…making the teacher a real putz.

3 Likes

Differences in Canadian and American labels of crème fraÎche

American labels of crème fraîche are spelled properly, indicating it’s a fermented dairy product soured with bacterial culture.

Canadian labels of crème fraÎche have it as spelled on the English language, and as creme anglaise on the French-language side. I told a Parisian this and he agreed with me that this was messed up and wrong, because creme anglaise is a light pouring custard, different from crème fraÎche.

7 Likes