Cooking (not just dinner)

70s Dinner Party is a brilliant (and horrifying) Twitter account

just look at it

11 Likes

I both love and hate differences like this. I love them because it points to similar lines of thought, and the idea that we are all more similar than disilimilar.

I hate it cause it confuses me :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ll go ahead and look at it, because no way would I prepare or eat that.

7 Likes

Holy crap.

I went and confirmed this at the store today. Wow that could confuse someone. :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s like having “Butter” on one side, and “crab butter” on the other.

2 Likes

The differences between Canadian and US cooking are incredibly frustrating when using otherwise common ingredients in US cooking, up here in Canada. Because of the prevalence of US recipies it can often require a herculean amount of effort to get right.

Some examples:

• a lot of “mexican” ingredients seem to be a lot more prevalent in the better part of the US than here. Things like anatto powder, peppers more exotic than, say, jalapeno or poblano, chipotle chili in adobo sauce, and tomatillos tend to require specialty shops (though at least in Toronto some of these ingredients are becoming more common. Finally.)
  • There are several cuts of meat that are difficult fo find but useful when cooking for two: “boneless country-style pork ribs” are actually cut from the pork chuck-eye roll (the blade roll made of M. longissimus dorsi, M. spinalis dorsi, M. multifidus dorsi, M. complexus), and is virtually unheard of here. There are a TON of recipies that use it because it’s a great stir-fry cut for two.
  • Another common cut that’s been hard to find is Beef “bottom sirloin” or flap meat. Thankfully our neighbours in Quebec use this and call it “Bavette”, and that’s finally making it to Ontario, but again, lots of US recipes for that cut.
  • things like tomato paste apparently come in tubes down there, whereas up here they’re mostly in (small) cans. This means recipies that call for small amounts of tomato paste usually end up pretty wasteful up here
  • Good luck finding things like Hominy or andouille sausage or pretty much any southern cuisine ingredient!
6 Likes

Okay, okay, we are gonna have to disagree on one specific point. I am a lover of all things en-chiled, but poblanos are the best. For so many reasons.

All your other observations are spot on.

1 Like

So what do French Canadians call custard?

ETA - the first google result I got suggested poutine, which I’m pretty sure isn’t right, and trying a slightly different search pointed me towards “French-Canadian love custard”, which seems even more dubious.

4 Likes

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I love a good tomatillo-poblano salsa verde! But beyond that? In a city of nearly 3 million people I have to go to a specialty shop if I want any peppers more exotic than that.

3 Likes

Point. Taken.

I live in a marginal town, and if I say one day, “I wanna scorpion pepper with tripe, goose fat, and mushrooms-you-think-are-safe”, not a problem.

3 Likes

I live in a metropolitan area of over two million people and I can’t get a decent Yorkshire Pudding unless I make it at home from scratch, or shell out for mix in the “Imported/ethnic Foods” aisle. I despaired of finding Bird’s Custard powder until my spouse told me it was in the “Imported/ethnic foods” there too.

Yes, having two names for the same product is confusing, especially when one types crĂšme fraĂźche in Google Translate from English to French https://translate.google.ca/#en/fr/creme%20fraiche

I don’t know. I never paid attention to the Canadian label of Bird’s Custard powder because I didn’t make custard desserts with powder back then. Maybe a resident of Canada can tell us.

3 Likes

If I ever even mentioned a Yorkshire pudding, the conversation would go something like:

Me: I want a Yorkshire pudding.
Everyone: like, a desert?
Me: no
Everyone: would a flan be okay?
Me:. No
Everyone: pudding pop?
Me: Missing the point
Everyone: but it’s pudding!
Me: I’ll just get some Toad in the Hole.

Everyone: need any frogs?

6 Likes

May I have a Yorkshire pudding and a flan, please? :pray:

4 Likes

So, I don’t have Bird’s but I do have Horne’s, which is pretty ubiquitous in Canada. To my great dismay, here’s a shot of what it says on the label in french:

sighs

2 Likes

I got the hot idea to change my Google search language preference from English to French.

These are the French-Canadian URLS I found for crùme fraüche, and it’s pretty much the traditional French:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/lepicerie/niveau2_15840.shtml

2 Likes

Your confusion is shared and I’m a southerner (so to speak).

2 Likes

I’ve had some amazing savory banana dishes in the tropics. This does not look like one of them. :scream:

seriously though, banana’s are underappreciated as nothing more then a peel and eat snack in most places. fried bananas are one of my favorite desserts.

4 Likes

Next time I’m in Supremo Market near me I’ll take a pic of their dried pepper aisle to make you jealous. One great thing about living in Jersey City, one of the most diverse cities on the continent is the groceries. There’s a street of Indian restaurants and grocers, many varieties of latin grocers all over, an Asian supermarket with kimchi, lemon grass, and dozens of varieties of tofu, chili sauce, dried mushrooms and seafood, and fish sauce. There’s Polish butchers with fresh Kielbasa, and a number of places to get Halal lamb and goat.

Gotta go, getting myself hungry

3 Likes

Went to a Brazillian Rodizio restaurant recently, and was able to enjoy both fried banana AND roasted pinapple with cinnamon. Both were to die for. Delicious!

4 Likes

Grilled Kim-Cheese, because why aren’t you right now?

12 Likes