Cooking (not just dinner)

I can’t really say what happened with your bread, but it might be the bulger.

Wheat germ is the outer coating of a wheat berry, so it’s basically a little flat flake that doesn’t absorb much liquid. Bulgur wheat is not flat, it’s the inside of the wheat berry, dried and cracked, and it can absorb quite a bit of liquid. All this would lead me to think that the wetness issue was something else, maybe?

So, not the same thing. But, if you have leftover bulger, you could make a tabbouleh salad with it.

3 Likes

The Twitter account is a hodge podge of cooking horrors spanning the centuries, more or less with a 70s focus

3 Likes

Bake it 5-10 min longer?

1 Like

Nah, yah did fine. I can wax poetically about bread, but when it comes down to it, if it is too doughy then slice that loaf and make some toast. I guarantee you that your guests​ and family will think you are a genius.

2 Likes

That looks horrifying, but I think I would find it delicious.

2 Likes

there’s a lot of Kale to make it that green, but it tastes amazing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I forgot to take the picture of my Kladdkaka I made for my wife’s birthday!

Oh well, it’s gone now.

4 Likes

Trying a new recipe for cassoulet

Eta: wasn’t happy with it so I threw it back in the oven to reduce and get more color. Wound up with a total baking time of about seven hours (1st photo is at ±4.5hrs ) Magic happened in the last hour. Super creamy beans that still hold their shape.

My usual recipe only takes four hours. I’m tired, goodnight.

10 Likes

okay, it is official, i like your taste in kitchenware.

7 Likes

:laughing: Thanks! I love that dutch oven, but would have a very hard time justifying the cost. It was given to me by someone who didn’t like the color. Caribbean blue? Who doesn’t love Caribbean blue?!

Most everything else I have has come from the thrift store. Copco, All-Clad, Calphalon, older enamel ware, I’ve had some real luck. If you find trashed American made cookware (All-Clad, Calphalon) they have lifetime warrantees- buy it cheap and send it in for new.

I have a thing for color.

11 Likes

I have that same utensil holder.

4 Likes

Wow. Seriously, that looks delicious.

5 Likes

Save the bulgur for the salad and find the real Wheat Germ, too.

1 Like

Here was my St. Pats dinner:

Soda Bread, and Dublin Coddle:

12 Likes

looks delicious!

3 Likes

It really was! I was amazed how much depth of flavour came from the rendered bacon and sausages in the broth. Delicious.

5 Likes

I’m not saying we don’t have it in tubes but I’ve only ever seen it in small cans, medium cans, and restaurant size cans.

As far as I can tell, it’s wasteful here too.

ETA: here being a non-food desert part of the continental U.S.

3 Likes

I finally found the tubes again. First found them in HEB in Texas and after moving North I could never find it until my last trek to Jewel.

There on the TOP shelf was the box and in that box was the tube. And in that tube was tomato paste. And all was right with the recipe.

7 Likes

I rarely find myself wanting a tiny amounts of tomato paste but similarly tiny amounts of anchovy paste, for sure. When I found that in a tube, I was very pleased.

3 Likes

I gave up on anchovy paste and just decided the few minutes it takes to rinse and either mash or sauté actual anchovies (depending on the dish) meant I could buy a jar capable of holding a few months worth of the little guys in oil without waste.

4 Likes