Cop filmed punching teen with autism: "You're gonna get hurt. Don't make me hurt you more"

Seconded. My youngest has ADHD and anxiety, and definitely falls on the fight side of fight or flight. And she is a 6’2. I wish there were some way to teach teachers and police that size =/= maturity. I live in constant fear of her encountering a cop.

4 Likes

To you and @prooftheory , wondering if either of you has seen the tv show “Atypical.” I don’t have much experience with autism, but it seemed to get it right, from what little I know.
Anyway, this reminded me of it because there’s an arc where the autistic son (maybe 17) has a bad interaction with the police. The teen’s dad ends up creating a whole training for the police Dept. about autism and how to better deal with people on the spectrum. It was heartwarming, but made me think, why should the burden fall on the parents? It’s your (the cops) f-ing job!
Good luck! Here’s hoping we see change within your children’s lifetimes so parents in the future don’t have to have these same worries. :heart:

5 Likes

I like that show, even if it’s received criticism for not casting a person with autism in the lead role. I also appreciate your interpretation of that episode, hadn’t thought of it that way before.

Have you seen the doc How to Dance in Ohio? Two thumbs up from me.

3 Likes

Yup. Sums it all up.

#1, Congress simply needs to put an end to unions for the police to stop the overzealous protections they get.
#2, Stop the qualified immunity and follow the law laid out under the constitution as written for being able to sue when wronged by public servants.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.