Cop filmed throwing schoolgirl in rough arrest

This! This! This!

11 Likes

Fuckinā€™ A. I work with people with severe problems who can be, and occasionally are, very violent. Iā€™m not allowed to restrain them at all, because itā€™s against the law. I could at most interpose myself between them and a member of the public, say, if they were likely to injure them and take the hit myself, which I would, but thatā€™s it.

7 Likes

If you have the blessing of the district for hands on conflict resolution, then thatā€™s fine. Our district has a hand off policy. I should state that if two students were fighting I would bear hug from behind to keep them from swinging at each other, male or female. But I assume that the huge group of spectators* that will be watching and taping will understand that Iā€™m de-escalating and preventing injuries.

*Our kids run from place looking for a rumored fight. Itā€™s kind of funny to see it happen, and even then, itā€™s rare.

2 Likes

This point deserves separate consideration. If itā€™s true that this fellow can bench press 600 lbs. (mentioned somewhere in the thread) then either

A) Heā€™s got spectacular genetics and has missed his calling. He ought to be an Olympic weightlifter.

Or

B) Heā€™s using performance enhancing drugs that are known to create hyper-aggressive behavior and poor impulse control.

Do we really want cops taking drugs that make them aggressive and unable to use good judgement about when to apply force?

How about some random drug testing for cops?

16 Likes

Calling him officer roidrage is disrespectful to people who use steroids.
#notallsteroidusers

3 Likes

My head at junior school, if you were sent to him, would end up telling you a long, rambling story about how he used to be a bad kid, but then he ran away to sea at 14, and start going on about pirates and shit. I loved Mr Andersen.

14 Likes

Iā€™d be more for mandatory testing within 24 hours of an incident involving use of force. If it prevents one multi million dollar lawsuit it seems like it would be cost effective.

14 Likes

You are correct/ Step #1 is critical. A student will attempt to ā€œsave faceā€ while being looked upon by an entire class

Phew - for a second there, I thought it said Ben FOLDS did this violenceā€¦

4 Likes

Um, totally unnecessary. Dude should be relieved of duty and the badge, permanently, imo. If you canā€™t discern that this was NOT the time to use such force, you donā€™t get to play police, period.

1 Like

Despite the secretaryā€™s email, the NY Times is reporting that heā€™s on leave WITH pay. See this article. That would be much more consistent with how most police departments handle administrative suspension for officers who have not been arrested, indicted, or found guilty of any crime.

2 Likes

Donā€™t taze me bro!

And in my experience, cops are not very good at moderating the escalation of any type of situation, including restraints.

When I did my PERT (Psychiatric Emergency Response Team) training for the SD county police and sheriffā€™s agencies, I spent much more time trying to keep the cops from beating the crap out of people and slapping the handcuffs on, than I ever did providing mental health support to endangered subjects. Twice, cops knocked me aside in their hurry to assault the subject. I ended up quitting PERT, and I transferred to County Mental Health Intake Processing to finish that part of my clinicals. San Diegoā€™s police agencies do not have a real good reputation anyway. There seems to be a pervasive mindset here to drag 'em off to jail and let the courts sort it out.

14 Likes

Dammit!

2 Likes

I guess if the lesson that day was ā€œWhy you should never respect or trust school officials or law enforcementā€ then it was well-taught. The demonstration of how to resolve a problem without further disrupting the class could use a little work though.

4 Likes

Glad I never had to do that when I was a teacher.

Forget it, Jake. Itā€™s Rednecktown.

2 Likes

hey, donā€™t call him ā€œDude.ā€

1 Like

No one here has a problem with the fact that the girl struck the cop in the head/face, before the desk got flipped, while he was trying to pry her out of it?

Naw, all I could see was your ass bent over licking his bootsā€¦

22 Likes