Cop filmed throwing schoolgirl in rough arrest

They just keep making more assholes every day don’t they? The USA: asshole factory.

2 Likes

That’s very unkind of you…

I don’t have a problem with it. Him trying to pull her out of her desk is assault. It wasn’t nice, but he deserved it.

She is a civilian on public property, so has every right to be there. Also, that makes her his boss.

People need to stop giving cops a pass for issuing so-called “lawful orders” to people about things which don’t involve actual law enforcement. When there is no law being broken, cops need to do their job and be respectful of their employers.

12 Likes

Well, he was assaulting her.

11 Likes

Right? How dare that little girl fight back against Officer Anabolic!

11 Likes

Here’s some more flipping for you.

5 Likes

That’s just stupid of you man, you get someone tugging at you like that you try to grab whatever’s available. You don’t know she was deliberately struck anybody, but you do know she was being physically assaulted.

And NO, I don’t have a problem with it, not even a little bit, because it doesn’t justify the cop’s actions either way.

So, what, You Gotta Problem? Maybe contribute to his defence fund, I’m sure some asshole will start one soon. There are tons of redneck assholes who probably applaud the cop for assaulting the girl.

6 Likes

And yet they put the troublemaker on “administrative leave” instead.

6 Likes

I think it’s understood that there’s a difference between officer roidrage, who likely is on massive doses of steroids for the purpose of “getting big”, and legitimate medical users who need it for their RA and stuff.

3 Likes

This guy shouldn’t be a cop, he should be in jail.

Get the cops out of schools and universities. Shutdown campus police while you’re at it. No more school ids. No more metal detectors at the door. Roll it all back.

3 Likes

I (naturally) don’t know the specifics of your work but most legal systems allow citizen’s arrests and doing this to help others is normally covered by self-defence rights.

It would honestly be less hassle to get punched in the face.

a valid argument - but somehow different to “it’s against the law” : )

Nah, restricting someone’s liberty, especially with physical force would get me severely fucked over. If someone else was at risk, I’d get away with it eventually, but seriously, I’d rather get punched in the face than deal with the hassle. An ordinary citizen could, but I’d be more likely to tackle them than the person I was supporting. No one is punching ma homie when he’s out with me…

1 Like

Well, technically EVERYBODY that a policeman detains falls into that category. It’s not really relevant to this situation (where his actions are reprehensible regardless)

“Corporal Punishment” is alive and well in our US school systems. You can NOT beat the knowledge into a student, it won’t work.

1 Like

That seems about right-
The things that sticks with me most from that training (and it was a while ago- I’m not in that world anymore) was the huge emphasis on de-escalating situations. The mantra was that if you have to restrain, the battle has been lost. It was always a last resort, and you learned to bend over backwards a diffuse until it just wasn’t possible before. The verb “hurry” has no place in the equation- it’s about doing everything you can to get everybody calmed down so you don’t have to lay hands on anyone.
I feel like police spend so much time training in the use of force that it becomes their hammer (and everybody else looks like a nail). Maybe spend that time training on de-escalation and that could become the hammer?

9 Likes

Nope. Defense is considered appropriate and legal, at least for white hetero males.

9 Likes

In general, police are a bad idea, even more so in K-12 schools and universities.

When I was in high school, I performed with the jazz band at a local pageant being held at our school. Afterward, walking through the hallway to the band room, I was accosted by a woman who screamed that there were young girls dressing in the area and that it was off-limits. I responded–looking around and seeing shocked parents, men and women, staring at her–that it was a hallway, not a changing area. Although the appalled parents later had her banned from the school, that didn’t stop her from telling the resource officer that I was being disruptive. He took me to a storage room and ordered me off campus. “We can do this the easy way, or the hard way,” he intoned, patting his taser. I fled in tears. Needless to say nothing happened to the officer. This was my earliest lesson in police authoritarianism.

When people in our society talk about problems with the police, seldom do we discuss abolishing them outright. In the US, police developed out of slave patrols and strike breakers. One has to keep this in mind when tracing their authority and methods to their roots. More importantly, there is never a task that the state can do that self-organized, self-governed communities can’t do better, given enough time and resources to work out better ways of doing things. Community safety is no exception, even taking into consideration the dangers of living in the modern world.

Many such dangers, not the least of which is the state’s violent suppression of social movements, come from the police, as we can all see clearly from this video as well as many others that are widely available. There is no stronger support for the abolition of police than can be found in witnessing hundreds of police decked in armor and weapons, terrorizing, coralling, beating, and caging protestors in an environment that we continue to perversely call “civilized” and “democratic.” At the end of the day, the only thing that really keeps the status quo going is the threat of violence posed by the police. This is why, in discussions of the police, we should stress the institution, and not the individuals. No institution should wield power that cannot be revoked, and yet this is our reality.

7 Likes

I suspect that people don’t find it relevant simply because they seldom consider it. If I heard that somebody brutally beat a person, and then the detail that it was their boss who they had beaten, that this informs a quite different context.

The reluctance to consider it also illustrates both why police are willing to act this way, and why the public at large lets them. This informs the culture which facilitates such horrors. It is not a sort of abstract technicality.