Cop in bikini tackles thief to the ground before his arrest

That…would…be…AWESOME!

6 Likes

Yeah… like on the first page or so, IIRC.

2 Likes

They show up when he first gets back from the doors, right?

Feeling shameful :disappointed: for how long it’s been since I’ve read anything but the first book (it’s that & The Bachman Books that are on repeat).

Sadly, I stopped liking him after he got run over…and sober…

2 Likes

He falls asleep on the beach after the tarot reading at the end of Gunslinger, and wakes up in Drawing to find that one of the lobstrosities has eaten three fingers off his left hand.

3 Likes

That’s right!

2 Likes

Pity you’re all so far away…

It’s been a while since my last reading of the series; One and Two always seem to blend together a bit especially since the pacing of the first novel was so sluggish.

3 Likes

I definitely stopped liking The Dark Tower books after the accident. Kinda wish I could revive 80s King (or even late-70s King) for a do-over of the books that came after Wizard and Glass, but man was he an unhappy guy back then.

5 Likes

Misery - it’s not just good for musicians…

1 Like

If I were home yet, I’d suggest we’d start our DVDs and Blu-Rays and streams, open a new thread, and start watching together! But I have to drive home first, and I suspect my wife has the TV reserved for a bit.

5 Likes

Yeah, they started getting really weird, starting with Wolves. To the point where King, and his car accident, actually show up in the books.

It’s still a series worth reading, but I really wish that he hadn’t done that.

4 Likes

I hung in there, but I definitely noticed a change in the overall quality of writing there for a while.

Cell, for instance.

That novel irked the hell out of me, because it just kind of petered off into nothing with no real resolution.

3 Likes

He did that on purpose at least three times, and it bugged the hell out of me. It kinda made sense (and was sort-of the point) for Riding The Bullet, but when he did the same goddamned thing in From a Buick 8 and The Colorado Kid (where he just writes himself into a corner, doesn’t bother extricating the plot, and tells the Constant Reader throughout that there’s no resolution 'cause sometimes them’s the breaks and you can’t always get what you want, blah blah blah), I wanted to drive over to Bangor and shit on his porch.

5 Likes

From a Buick 8 was just kinda meh for me anyway; it probably would have made a more compelling short story.

Whereas Cell had an intriguing premise and lots of riveting setup… with absolutely no payoff at the end.

Oh, I was pissed.

Most of the time though, I like his style of writing, and I will say that recently he’s gotten better; almost back to his old formula.

Full Dark, No Stars was an excellent anthology, and Under the Dome was addicting.

4 Likes

That’s great to hear! Maybe I’ll start getting into his recent ones. I got bogged down in Mr Mercedes, and learning that it was the first of a trilogy didn’t encourage me. I did like Under the Dome, and I have Full Dark somewhere, but I haven’t started it yet. His short fiction is pretty reliably good most of the time.

My wife gave Doctor Sleep a poor review, so I gave it away last week without reading it. (Put it in the Little Free Library at my old house.)

Huh. We done totally jacked this thread.

3 Likes

I haven’t read much of his new stuff, but 11/22/63 was pretty good.

2 Likes

Liked that one a lot! Enjoyed the miniseries, too… actually I am reminded that I’ve yet to see the last episode or two. Maybe I’ll do that this weekend.

1 Like

Hey, I liked Dr Sleep!

Rose the Hat was a creepy ass villain.

That one’s on my list.

1 Like

About 25 years ago there was this crappy horror-ish movie called Highway to Hell, written by Brian Helgeland some years before he redeemed himself with L.A. Confidential. I had occasion to read the screenplay a couple years before the movie eventually got made, and it’s about a literal Highway to Hell, Route 666 through a desert, down which people drive to meet their just reward. Some teenaged dude and his girlfriend run afoul of… well, something or other, and she gets dragged down the highway to hell by the Hellcop, who’s kind of like a demonic highway patrol officer. And so her boyfriend has to be Orpheus to her Eurydice and rescue her from the Hellcop before he gets her to hell.

Anyway, fun script, though the resultant movie turned out terrible. But I always liked the motto emblazoned on the Hellcop’s cruiser’s doors:

To Endanger And Enslave

…at least until it became more than just a cheeseball ironic joke.

7 Likes

`[quote=“Donald_Petersen, post:198, topic:82368”]
About 25 years ago there was this crappy horror-ish movie called Highway to Hell,
[/quote]

Damn, that premise sounds familiar.

I may have actually seen that flick at some point.

1 Like

Sadly all mods have been out for hours, but it seems things sorted themselves out in this world-class thread derailment.

Being cool means taking care to anticipate how what we write will be understood by people who are different from us. No-one is fond of the habit of pattern-recognizing problematic discussions so we can have fights over stuff. But wriggly defenses in response (for example, over what “shiny” means in the context of this image) don’t help establish that it’s not necessary.

We often post about things–cheesecake art and the like–where some give in the Boing Boing Social Justice Hive Mind is warranted. But remind yourself that when the ice is thin, elegant skaters die first.

20 Likes