Cop pulls over, warns black man for driving 65 mph in a 70 mph zone

I always wondered what sort of reaction my New Mexico plates garnered as we drove around the country. Never got pulled over, but the state did eventually add “USA” to the plates.

Did have a buddy get a ticket for going too slow. 35 in a 55 minimum zone. He was probably targeted for driving while brown, but we still tease him for getting a ticket for driving too slow.

5 Likes

Just to note how normal it is to drive below the limit: I almost never drive 70mph in a 70mph or greater zone because driving over 65mph makes me nervous. Never been ticketed in all my decades of driving, ever.

2 Likes

That was an amazing story. My favorite bit is the police being mad at her, like she was trying to trick them!

7 Likes

Being from Colorado I can tell you my reaction when seeing someone with NM plates: get the hell out of the way because that person is going to drive right on over me no matter how fast I’m going.

2 Likes

I was on a business trip in Georgia, and came back to NC via I-85. Lots of construction and I’m not even really sure what the speed limit was. I just know it was two lanes, bumper to bumper, q8 wheelers abound…and all of us doing 80ish.

It was actually not that stressful. Everyone seemed to know how to handle it. No brake jabs or lane switching. I’ve been in dense traffic doing 35 where it seemed like everyone else was playing Destruction Derby.

I wonder if he’s ever pulled over someone in a Geo Metro for going 65 in a 70?

Officer, I’m amazed I got it up to 65!

5 Likes

That, and if they can get you for anything that is an actual fine, they will because the chances of you coming back to fight it in court are low. If you don’t pay it, states talk to each other and eventually you find out you can’t renew your license or registration until you do.

EDIT: and yes, you can get cited for driving under the limit, even if you are above the minimum speed limit. Specifically, if your vehicle can’t do the speed limit. The back of my Maryland vehicle registration says it is illegal to operate a vehicle on a road if it can’t exceed the posted speed limit by at least 5 MPH.

1 Like

and we all know police precincts love to receive and process formal complaints properly /s

2 Likes

I’d say it’s unusual… but my brain doesn’t make the leap that “unusual” is automatically “suspicious”. There would need to be a second factor… trouble driving within the lane. I wonder if this cop also has a secondary requirement. Perhaps one he’s not comfortable saying outright…

1 Like

I don’t even know about that. If I’m not in a hurry and have a long drive, I just set the cruise control to 3 - 5 miles under the limit and have a relaxing ride up the right lane. No need to do a lot of passing and whatnot. And I almost always end up in a long, well-spaced line of similar drivers. It’s just calmer.
I have been pulled over once for going under the limit, but that was going 40 in a 65 zone (my car had issues, couldn’t make it up the hills.) The officer just told me to put on my hazards and ride in the breakdown lane on the uphills.*
*Yes, as if it needs answering, I’m white.

6 Likes

Too true. A few miles over or under, we deal with the cops. Drive at the speed limit, and deal with being cut off, flashed, or tailgated so close you’d think the other driver was drafting on a racetrack. Driving used to be fun before it was turned into something to be endured, not enjoyed.

5 Likes

I challenge you all to read my mind. Ready? Here goes: Right now I’m thinking about how I would absolutely love, love, love to see these racist bullshit pull-overs turn out.

Done?..

… Wha!? You got it right! That’s amazing!! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Why do you think NM plates are bright red and yellow? It’s nature’s way of saying look out.

3 Likes

Aren’t drivers required to drive at a speed appropriate to the conditions? The driver could say the lighting was bad, or the road surface, so he drove at a safe speed.

1 Like

Cops do this kind of thing all the time. He saw someone he thought might match the description of a suspect. He pulled the guy over hoping he had the right driver. When he found he was wrong he couldn’t just admit it and go away. That would look weak. It wouldn’t project the right air of authority. So he pulled something out of his ass and tried to make it sound like he was in charge. The driver was lucky the cop didn’t smash one of his tail lights and lie about that.

Actually it is this way for any “other”. When I was in college in Indiana I had long hair and I was harassed.

I am white, though, so I did not fear for my life, but a state police officer felt he could harass and make fun of me when I had an accident with a tractor trailer. (*edit… an accident, I might add, that was actually partially caused by city police officer who was on the interstate, who slowed down in front of me in the fast lane)

The most egregious problem is with race and police that feel an implicit right to use violence on other races, but that is but the worst of all the problems.

1 Like

What part of “illegal” do you not understand?

/s

That’s just so amazing to me. I have lived for 43 years and NEVER once raised my voice or used profanity in the presence of law enforcement. Yep, I’m Black.

3 Likes

Funny how the linked article’s headline refers to the man by name.

That’s not generally a journalistic standard unless the subject is well-known.

Was that done to make is easier to harass or target him?

Came for this reference. Leaving with 98 problems.

3 Likes