Cory Booker announces he's running for President

Well, I like him OK, if I have to, but I think there will be (and already are) better choices. BUT, if he’s the guy, in the end, I’ll support him.

Re “sharing the wealth” Booker seems to be only that guy so much as his aligned corporate interests will allow him. I learned from Obama that once you take the corporate money there’s no going back.

1 Like
10 Likes

BTW: a standard centrist line re: the American left is that the leftists are unrealistic puritans who refuse compromise and demand perfection from political candidates.

What that argument is missing is that:

1. Bernie (and AOC, and Gabbard, and…) are, to many leftists, far from perfect.

2. For the left, Bernie et al are already the compromise candidates.

To demonstrate:

It’s curious how the “party unity uber alles” and “vote blue no matter who” messages are always directed leftwards, despite two years of this sort of thing:

https://twitter.com/jmyers1971/status/1088997926758768641?s=21

6 Likes

Cool. I hope you’ll be happy with whoever gets the nomination. And vote for them in the general election!

1 Like

Exactly. You said it better than I could have. It’s the same reason why Joe Manchin doesn’t get any shit for being pro-coal, even though, objectively-speaking, that’s a repugnant position in today’s world.

If Kamala Harris is going to be called a cop, then Cory Booker is Mitch McConnel - a senate seat bought and paid for by local business interests that seems determined to torpedo the most agreed upon political stance with the American people. Is he Mitch McConnel? No he’s not, but he’s still easily the worst of the ones who threw their name in. The people want improved health care access without forced purchasing of private insurance, he is diametrically opposed to that effort.

5 Likes

At this point, I’ll probably vote for them even if I’m unhappy. But this looks like it’ll be an exciting primary; for example, I just learned about Jay Inslee, who interests me. I just hope the Democratic Party stays neutral this time and doesn’t force a coronation.

1 Like

If you’re referring to 2016, they didn’t really do it back then either.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.