COUP: Under cover of #muslimban, Bannon throws top general and spy off the National Security Council and installs himself in their stead

It’s an interesting point. The generals mostly went along with Hitler because (a) he was winning and (b) he was able to use his private armies to carry out a coup which removed any alternative sources of power. He rewarded them extravagantly in the early parts of the War to keep them on side, giving them estates in Poland as an incentive to keep the borders going Eastward when the time came. Even so, there were numerous plots against him, they were just badly executed.

I can’t see today’s generals being too impressed by the chance of being awarded some radioactive real estate in the South China Sea, especially if the East and West coasts and Colorado are likely to be equally radioactive.

8 Likes

Ebola?
No, probably not a good idea.

1 Like

Wait, there’s a vote involved? That would actually make me feel a little better.

2 Likes

In the same way that top staff was removed from the State Department via resignations and firings, I think you’ll see large swaths of the DoD, DHS, NSA, CIA, etc. reassigned, fired, released, etc. Seems to me that they’ll largely do it top down by reworking boards, reconfiguring responsibilities, etc. in the name of “restructuring”, “efficiency”, “modernizing”, “rebuilding”, etc. Those recent “great rebuilding” EOs, the “readiness review” directives, and so on are all looking like they are going to be used to reshape the military so that messy decisions about following evil orders are a lot less stressful all around. The new military will be the military that does what the WH says. Sure, there will be large swaths of the military that might feel iffy about, say, bombing Iran or nuking NK but they will not be in charge, they’ll be scrambling to hold on to their jobs, converting to civilian life and trying to find healthcare, etc.

9 Likes

I hope they don’t learn the hard way that it is always better to fight wars in other people’s countries.

1 Like

But mangos are nice.
“Cheeto Mussolini” is more alliterative and actual cheetos are nasty and toxic, just like the man!

7 Likes

I nominate Trump for a commemorative postage stamp. Only one small obstacle there.

19 Likes

Ok… Lets see.
I’ll use the RMS Titanic as the example.
RMS Titanic:
Cruising: 21 kn (39 km/h; 24 mph). Max: 24 kn (44 km/h; 28 mph)
Distance between new york and london: 3,470 miles

Being generous, I’ll say the RMS Titanic was traveling at it’s top speed of 28 mph, 24 hours a day for the entire trip:
3,470 divided by 28 mph equals 144.583 hours.
144.583 hours divided by 24 hours equals 6,024 days.
And that’s max speed not cruising and not even taking into account any bad weather.

So, over a week is possible

Federal agencies are ignoring a court order to continue enforcing an executive order. The rule of law is currently a fiction at the federal level. It’s a-boiling.

14 Likes

Ebola is a good ‘threat’ that could be used to justify immigration constrains on West Africa - Trump is missing a trick

2 Likes

Left her in Russia I suppose.

:stuck_out_tongue:

17 Likes

Sigh

One week in, and we still have four more years to go…

17 Likes

From the WaPo article:

From Drumpf’s site:

It’s odd, no, that Drumpf already has a “detailed plan” to defeat ISIS, yet he’s given the Pentagon 30 days to come up a plan?

11 Likes

17 Likes

“Alliterative” usually means the sound of the first letter is the part that matches. All the coolest supervillains style themselves that way: Lex Luthor, Doctor Doom, Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, uh… Condiment King…

12 Likes

Not “usually” but “always.” It is a function of verse in Germanic languages.

6 Likes

Huh, learned something new today, thanks! :grinning:

4 Likes

FTFY

e.g.
в темнице там царевна тужит (Pushkin) (f’tyemnitse tam tsaryevna tuzhit)

litus ut longe resonante Eoa…Caesaris visens monimenta magni (Catullus - NSFW)

3 Likes

3470/28 = 124, not 144. (Anyway ships usually went Liverpool-NY which is a little shorter. Going from London implies going away from NY and then down the Channel, which is wasteful of fuel.)

I’ve just found it all here in one handy chart:

https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch3en/conc3en/linertransatlantic.html

Argue with Dr. Rodrigue if you like. Titanic is a bad example because it was actually quite a slow ship. The German liners and Mauretania/Lusitania were designed to do around 28mph continuous; there is no point at all in designing a passenger ship to travel at anything but its maximum cruising speed because, if you do, you are wasting metal.

3 Likes

That’s so bleak. Do you envision any likely scenario in which we don’t all die beneath a mushroom cloud in the next four years?

3 Likes