Create your very own fruit tier list

Dragonfruit also involves the most insane pinks in Nature.

European-made gooseberry jam can often be found in larger groceries. Asian groceries have fruits which may be unfamiliar.

1 Like

You’re over thinking.

Tier lists are meant to be gut-feeling based, and meant to display your biases.

5 Likes

I can’t do this. Green apple/red apple? Yellow apple. Early apple. Cooking apple. Russet. Crunchy apple. Aromatic apple. Crab apple? Not a cider apple, they’re not nice. Unless you’re drinking cider. Okay, yeah, cider apple. And of course the best apple - the one you just picked off the tree!

3 Likes

I don’t hate any fruits, but Dragonfruit tops my list of “things that fails to live up to their visual promise”. Both the crimson and white fleshed versions look like they should be pure joy-with-fructose taste bombs, but both taste like kiwi fruit’s boring cousin, you know, the one who talks endlessly about real estate prices and Bitcoin.

3 Likes

I never really liked kiwi until one of my friends told me they taste better unpeeled, fur and all. I was extremely skeptical but for some reason it makes it way less tart. I can’t go back - I won’t!

3 Likes

Are all of those really fruits?

2 Likes

Yeah, there are so many varieties of things, and they’re all so different. (And sour cherries are almost entirely used for cooking. Heck, why not add maraschino cherries in there, too?) I’m assuming these are the sorts of fruit that are widely available in supermarkets. (And it’s mostly US-centric, but then there are currants in there, and they’re still outlawed in many states.) But I eat a lot of fruit that can’t be found in supermarkets, because I grow it myself. I’ve got dozens of small, espaliered fruit trees, so I get to eat a dozen different kinds of apples alone, only one of which is commercially available in stores, and all of which are different. Four kinds of “blackberries,” all different. Heck, I planted two black mulberries, thinking they would be the same, but they aren’t - at all.

Still feels like we’re comparing apples and oranges here.

4 Likes

Okay, I get it. But since I treat rhubarb mostly as I would a fruit, there should be a free-hand entry option.

(To explain - rhubarb is great in pies, crisps, cakes, cobblers, and just as a sauce like applesauce. But the inherent tartness and astringency make it unpleasant to eat raw.)

2 Likes

If you’re looking for the peak of disappointment, look no further than the Mock Strawberry. You can find them growing wild around here. So red, so juicy-looking, appearing as tiny little gems of deliciousness in the forest. They taste of…well, nothing. Less than nothing. They actually taste like boring, and before tasting one of these, I didn’t think boring had a taste. This, my friends, is a fruit worthy of hate. Although they do look pretty.

1 Like

Kind of makes sense if it was popularized in Japan: I don’t know how important alphabetical order is over there. So when ‘A-grade’ doesn’t do it justice, eh? Or to make what is actually a ‘B’ not seem like “2nd best”

Then when you got a dozen fruits chilling on the ‘S’ tier we end up with this:

Is ratings creep a thing? Like, to explain why app, product, or restaurant reviews tend to skew “5 stars or I hate it?” or weird phrases like “turn it up to 11?”

Rhubarb is awesome. Also an ancient Chinese laxative IIRC :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.