Create your very own fruit tier list

Originally published at: Create your very own fruit tier list | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I don’t know why I find it so enjoyable, but my favorite part of making a fruit tier list is comparing it to friends lists.

Y’all know how to par-tay!!! :wink:

5 Likes

I use tomatillos when I make enchilada sauce (several times a year).

2 Likes

There’s a few fruits i could easily put in the S tier, but my personal #1 in the special S+ tier will always be tamarind. I very much doubt anyone would even have that in their top 100, but it’s got a really interesting and complex taste, it’s wonderful in food or drinks and it’s real tasty in its natural form. I’m biased though because i grew up with a tamarind tree a few houses down from mine and i was constantly on there grabbing a bunch to snack on throughout the school day.

8 Likes

Where I rank a fruit depends on how close it comes to my Platonic ideal of that particular fruit. I’ve had specimens that are fantastic, and some that I was hard pressed not to spit out (if I still had some in hand, they went in the nearest trash can.)

4 Likes

There are lots of fruits I love. (But Watermelon most of all.)

Only one fruit is worthy of hatred: The Dragonfruit.

Durian is at least interesting.

If I were a dragon I would totally demand a better fruit.

4 Likes

I started doing this list but 3/4 of them were in my S-tier so I gave up.

I like dragonfruit! It’s just super mild is all - certainly doesn’t taste as dramatic as it looks. You prefer honeydew to dragonfruit? I visited China and it was a super common breakfast fruit there. And it’s supposed to be really good for you!

4 Likes

You can relabel those tiers to whatever you want.

2 Likes

I don’t even remotely understand this. For one, fruit quality varies enormously depending on how ripe it is, and what variety. (Anything other than fraises du bois strawberries seem tasteless to me. Supermarket pears often have a horrible texture, no flavor or sweetness - but the same variety can be succulent, tasting of roses and honey. Let’s not even get started on different varieties of apples…) Then there’s usage - is it being eaten straight, fresh? Is it part of a dish? Because I don’t sit around eating limes and coconuts out of hand, but I’d be at a real loss if I didn’t have them as ingredients anymore. But if they’re parts of dishes, then you’re actually ranking the dishes you’re familiar with that use those fruits, and…

This reminds me of the “cake vs. pie” wars. It just suggests that people have had incredibly limited experiences with industrialized, standardized products that aren’t nearly as good as they could have been…

6 Likes

I do agree that there are a lot of variables, but I filled it out like I was going to eat them raw, and it made a nice visual for the next time I’m in the produce aisle, flailing around.

3 Likes

Why ‘S’ for best?

2 Likes

Superawesome.

2 Likes

Agreed. Even if ripeness is assumed “best” and variety is “your choice.”

1- I’ve never eaten guava or mangosteen, but I’ve drank their juice, so “never had” or what?

2- I think pineapple is delicious, but I’m more likely to buy ordinary apples cause they’re single serve, portable, no knife required, not sticky-messy. Does that figure into the rating?

ETA: “cherries” and “sour cherries?” Where are my concord grapes? “raisins” but no banana chips?!

3 Likes

Fresh, just-picked guava and papaya are heavenly. Transcendental, even.

1 Like

Wonderful, I’ll file them under Superawesome

1 Like

I think my favorite gooseberry is Ribes uva-crispa ‘Lepaan Punainen’ AKA Hinnomaki Red in the United States. Of course it might be much older variant of red gooseberry the bush was old even in the 1980s.

1 Like

So do I, although I prefer the red kind. They seem to taste the same, but there’s just something a tad unappetizing about grey fruit.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t consider myself to be a fruit lover, but I’ve had all the fruits on the list in some form or another. Not sure if I’m a weird outlier or not.

1 Like

SSS+ Tier: Kiwi

All other fruits are disappointing and ash in the mouth in comparison.

2 Likes

It’s a meme.

4 Likes