Critical Race Theory

And so the purge begins?

Here’s the poem that broke the snowflakes’ commitment to frozen peaches. Where is it wrong?

Poet: Kyla Jenée Lacey

10 Likes
13 Likes

I was expecting the worst, but this turns out to be an insightful piece on CRT.

Stopping it before it fully loads gets you past the paywall:

12 Likes
10 Likes

“We have successfully frozen their brand — ‘critical race theory’ — into the public conversation and are steadily driving up negative perceptions,” wrote Rufo, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank. “We will eventually turn it toxic, as we put all of the various cultural insanities under that brand category. The goal is to have the public read something crazy in the newspaper and immediately think ‘critical race theory.’”

11 Likes
14 Likes

Against the backdrop of hostility to discussions of race in schools — and as five states have passed laws limiting how teachers can address “divisive concepts” with students — administrators and teachers across the country say they have been pushed out of their districts. Some have opted to leave public schools entirely, while others are fighting to save their career. The result in these districts is what educators and experts describe as a brain drain of those who are most committed to fighting racism in schools.

12 Likes

So, teachers saying they “will not lie to students,” translates to RWNJ’s as “They are teaching CRT.” (They are not, but the laws being passed require teachers to lie, and saying they will not is unacceptable!)

16 Likes

Purging public schools? Working as intended.

13 Likes

― George Orwell, 1984

6 Likes

FWIW, an article showing ways to use ‘conservative’ talking points to counter their CRT fearmongering:

12 Likes

Thanks for the link. I had to process that for a second, as I saw it and was like but “conservatives are already making the case to ban it”… then I realized it said “against banning”!

7 Likes

If only the people trying to ban CRT were conservative.

4 Likes

That is the core issue. Fascists are not, by nature, conservative. They are fascists. Period, end of subject.

12 Likes

Yeah. It’s more that today’s Republicans are thought of as the U.S.'s “conservatives,” and most of today’s Republicans seem to have veered into embracing fascism. OTOH though, many haven’t.

12 Likes

I received an invite to a conference today. Scanned it, decided to decline, and then rlsaw the last panel description. I want to find out who wrote it and tell them “excuse me, but your bias is showing!” Seriously though- if you live in Texas please vote out Paxton in 2022.

Office of the Attorney General
2021 Constitutional Law
Conference

4 p.m. - A Critical Look at Critical Race Theory Our Framers considered the Declaration’s assertion of human equality to be the self-evident truth upon which our republic is built. The Constitution reflects that fundamental equality: “Our Constitution is color-blind, and neither knows nor tolerates classes among citizens,” said Justice Harlan, dissenting from the infamous 1896 decision Plessy v. Ferguson. Later, Justice Scalia noted that “[i]n the eyes of government, we are just one race here. It is American.”
But the recent rise of so-called Critical Race Theory (and CRT’s corollary, “antiracism”) has posed a direct challenge to these core American values. And that challenge isn’t merely academic; CRT is now the de facto worldview of virtually every major American institution, from primary schools to corporate board rooms.
Is the adoption of CRT by public institutions legal? Is it constitutional? And in any case, does it comport with American ideals? This panel will explore these questions.

11 Likes

Ugh. So much of what whoever wrote that considers self evident just, isn’t.

13 Likes

They’re helping to spread the lies with that very description.

I also work in an industry that is heavily Trumpian, so I understand your pain.

12 Likes

So that whole bullshit about Black service members not being eligible for the housing provision in the GI Bill back when was unconstitutional? Great! I, personally, cannot wait to see how we all start working together to right those wrongs.

Also, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, but I almost wish you were attending the conference so you could ask all the awkward questions and come tell us how they squirmed.

15 Likes

I try to do what I can to counter it.

If I were retired I’d be researching all the things I could ask and say. Especially how to use their own talking points to expose their hypocrisy. Unfortunately that would probably have employment repercussions at this point.

12 Likes