Critical Race Theory

The cognitive dissonance in that description actually hurts.

To quote the famous dissent in Plessy v Ferguson by Judge Harlan as proof that the Constitution is color blind is head spinning.

It was the sole dissent in a 7-1 decision, where the other justices used the same US constitution and legal theory of the day along with a unhealthy dollop of their own racism to enshrine the notion that laws of segregation were constitutional.

Oh and the part where
CRT is now the de facto worldview of virtually every major American institution, from primary schools to corporate board rooms.

We should be so lucky.

16 Likes

This ties into Critical Race Theory and is worth the time…

13 Likes

Started with CRT, and went downhill from there…

9 Likes

I think a possible way for teachers to fight back is to shut down any conversation about any part of US history, and let the kids bug their parents about why, for example, “teacher said we’re not allowed to learn about the Alamo because that would require teaching us that racism is an integral part of US history, which is illegal in our state.”

12 Likes

I like this approach in theory, but then I imagine those schools just cancelling the whole history department. :confused: That’s no good.

12 Likes

Yeah… exactly. Let’s remember that our state legislature here would gladly outlaw public schooling altogether fwiw.

7 Likes

Scanning this thread this came to me: Are we witnessing the biggest Streisand effect ever??

Critical theory is an obscure topic in social philosophy and critical race theory is a subtopic in that. Very few people knew about it and outside academia very few needed to know.

Now it is mainstream, just what the conservatives tried to prevent. Evil indeed carries the seed of its own destruction :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is it? The term is, but I suspect very few people know what CRT actually is.

12 Likes

True enough. And the ones screaming the loudest against CRT are the ones knowing the least about it. (Kinda a natural law that :confused: )

But the thing about CRT (and CT) is that it is not really a thing nor a fact. It is way to think about and describe history and societies and that is exactly what is happening now opponents dragged it into the limelight. Pure Streisand.

2 Likes

I wonder about the impact on the economy if they really follow that path. Isn’t getting parents back to work the main reason conservatives have been pushing to reopen schools during a pandemic?

6 Likes

Critical Theory II, The wrath of Horkheimer.

1 Like

Yes. But that could be done with private religious schools, church based charity and charter schools. There’s a scary amount of support for that kind of education system. Not so much that I think it will happen soon or easily. People will put up a fight. But enough that there’s really no attack on public education or educators here that is unthinkable.

6 Likes
12 Likes

28 Likes

Nice! I’ve got to remember that one.

I did something similar when my mother (back in 2020) made a comment about Fauci ‘only’ being a immunologist rather than a virologist and therefore didn’t know what he was talking about. So I asked her: what does an immunologist do? She changed the subject immediately.

21 Likes

Have you ever had one of those days, where you go outside and step in a dog turd that some (human) arsehole has left lying in the street because it will be someone else’s problem?

11 Likes
5 Likes

One step closer towards Ameristan.

9 Likes

This stuff is infuriating. I’m sure it made any color student who was paying attention uncomfortable, because it’s a sad and uncomfortable thing to learn about. Learning is growth. Growing pains are a thing. Deal with it.

10 Likes
6 Likes