Crowd boos Boris "Leave" Johnson as he leaves his home

Agreed on both points, especially the unlikelihood of Johnson loving anything but himself.

1 Like

Yes, I think it was that cynical. And as for voters, there seems to be a lot of people who voted Leave as a protest vote on the assumption Remain would win.

3 Likes

“Smithers, are they booing me?”

“Um, no, they’re saying ‘Booris! Booris!’”

17 Likes

I was saying “Booris!”

4 Likes

The people in yellow are the Police.

3 Likes

I’ve observed in the past that Americans tend to treat their politicians with the sort of fawning deference that Brits reserve for the royals.

During the Bush years, I saw plenty of “but he’s the President” delivered in tones strikingly similar to the “but she’s the Queen” responses that tend to arise when raising anti-monarchical arguments with Brits.

2 Likes

Unless they’re black… then not so much.

8 Likes

Fawning deference? Which Brits?
It’s been Americans who have asked me, quite seriously, about the state of the Royal Family. About which I know nothing.
The major problem is that you’re not allowed to ask them direct questions(!). Unless of course they are serving officers on duty. Or being interviewed. Or you just happen not to be a monarchist and don’t care about the shocked silence from the appalling hangers on who infest them. Or you’re the Queen at Sandringham and everybody in the village knows who you are but maintains the pretence that you’re Mrs. X.
If you are thinking of our beloved BBC Royal Correspondent Nicholas Witchell, Prince Charles has accidentally given away that he can’t stand him.

1 Like

Including allegedly Tommy Cooper after a Royal Command Performance.

“Do you think I was funny?” Tommy asked.
“Yes Tommy,” replied the Queen.
“You really thought I was funny?”, Tommy asked.
“Yes of course I thought you were funny” said the Queen.
“Did your Mother think I was funny?” Tommy asked.
"Yes, Tommy…"said the Queen, “.we both thought you were funny.”
“Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?” Tommy asked.
“No, …” replied the Queen, “…but I might not be able to give you a full answer.”
“Do you like football?” asked Tommy.
“Well not really” said the Queen.’
“In that case, …” said Tommy, “…do you mind if I have your Cup Final Tickets?'”

A rare example of Prince Charles being in touch with the people, if you ask me.

7 Likes

I wonder why this “man of the People”, “Oft seen supping a pint with the lads” doesn’t use his real name? Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

2 Likes

I wonder why he hasn’t been deported yet. I thought the Brexiters didn’t like Turks.

Most notably, a Glaswegian I used to live with. Sensible bloke in most respects, but any time the conversation touched on criticism of the royals you could see his brain shut down like you’d flipped a switch.

1 Like

I am sure that an under-the-table payment from Putin will go a long way towards assuaging his dismay.

1 Like

Rangers fan?

3 Likes

No idea. Working class pothead silversmith.

In all honesty, they are probably his neighbours, rather than his political opponents per se, although the two are by no means mutually exclusive.

London as a whole is incredibly progressive when compared to the rest of the nation. Politicians have to live in London because that’s where Westminster is but that doesn’t mean they automatically find themselves among friends.

Imagine if Jeb Bush lived in Fisherman’s Wharf and was the head of an incredibly prominent yet divisive national anti-LGBT campaign which won a victory that was based entirely on misinformation and anti intellectualism and which was guaranteed to ruin the lives of most of the people who lived nearby.

Frankly, he was lucky to get away with only being booed…

3 Likes

We have plenty of stupid voters on this side of the pond too, but I have yet to meet anyone who plans to vote for Trump while hoping for a Clinton win.

1 Like

Well I hope that keeps up :slight_smile:

And I take your point. I found this article which suggests that many Leavers thought Remain would win, but not that they regret voting leave: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brexit-voters-regrexit_us_57726eafe4b0f168323ad632

But I definitely think there was a self-destructive element to this vote. If you’re interested (and I don’t blame you if you’re not), here’s a good analysis of the vote: http://www.perc.org.uk/project_posts/thoughts-on-the-sociology-of-brexit/