“Cummingtonite" is a type of metamorphic amphibole

Originally published at: "Cummingtonite" is a type of metamorphic amphibole | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Added to a drive-by stop in MA. Thank you for sharing, and I’m ashamed that I deprived myself of such useful knowledge so late into my life.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Okay, if we’re talking about minerals, here’s another one that’s in the same vein as this:

10 Likes

Is it also sometimes found in Effington, IL?

9 Likes

Cummington is probably the least age-appropriate character in Centaur World.

4 Likes

Looks strangely familiar to a nug I put in the bong last night.

5 Likes

well played. This is thread is a gold mine. And any person with last name Dick has moral obligation to discover something to be named.

5 Likes

Rachel Maddow has a home in Cummington. You can often spot her at the Creamery, a popular food co-op in town.

3 Likes

I seed what you did there

1 Like

Does it fluoresce ? It looks cool, I would like a sample.

1 Like

i just read that article with Barry White’s voice in my head

1 Like

Be careful what you wish for.

9 Likes

There was a Catholic Women’s College in Baltimore known as College of Notre Dame of Maryland (CONDOM.) Sadly, they have since changed their name to Notre Dame of Maryland University, not nearly as much fun. :cry:

6 Likes

Fun geological trivia: interestingly it is never found in the same location as cephalgiatonite.

The first time I encountered this name must have been somewhere around 20 years ago, at ol’ “Molecules with Silly or Unusual Names”.
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/sillymols.htm

Strange, that so many other items there never took off. The T-shirt seems to arise frequently:

3 Likes

You may be on to something there. Illinois also has an Effingham as well. If I ever have to go back through there, I’m gonna ask.
On a side note, Searching Amazon for CUM books yields interesting results and it ain’t just about “Oh come all ye faithful”.

1 Like

That is a beautiful, obviously artisanal url, handcrafted by a human and passed down to us through the ages

1 Like

What’s the chemical composition of orgasmlastnite?

After Cummingtonite, you’ll be ready for Taconite.