Cursed putters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/27/cursed-putters.html

3 Likes

Haha, that’s a hell of a pull. No way, right?

359e9293cbdefeedff960da43e16830b

6-Super-Troopers-quotes

6 Likes

You’d think there couldn’t possibly be more than a handful of craptastic putters out there… scrolling through that twitter feed and you quickly realize that humanity is doomed.

6 Likes

I give him credit, the commentary is pretty funny: “the striking face combines a stainless alloy body for solid inertia with a machined aluminum insert for precision, while the rear scoops collect hydrogen gas to power the warp core”

I’m sure these companies figured out that golfers typically have money, and bad golfers will drop money on any gimmick they think can improve their game. There may not be any way to prove their particular putter is better than the standard lump of metal, but if you make it look futuristic and give some pseudo-scientific explanation people will buy it, it’s all in your mind anyway.

“Be the ball, Danny.”

4 Likes

It has defensive attack spikes, I like that in a putter.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Someone who uses a special putter is anal retentive not anal expulsive @beschizza :wink:

2 Likes

Never underestimate the ability of rich men to invent new and ever more ridiculous ways of wasting money by bathing their hobby in flashy-looking pseudoscience. See: audiophiles.

1 Like

I don’t get it, those all look really awkward to throw

6 Likes

This is majestic. But I kind of like the one with a display on it; that looks like it might actually have practical training uses.

The clubhead or its parts must not be designed to resemble any other object.

I can just imagine two CEOs on the green of the 18th hole:

“Wait a minute, you can’t use that putter! It resembles our corporate headquarters!”
“Huh? Your headquarters are in a 30-story rectangular skyscraper!”
“Not anymore! I saw this coming and had the architects whip something up when we were on the first hole!”
“Blast you! I’m going to have to use a plebian putter!”

2 Likes

I didn’t realize some people were so serious about golf.

4 Likes

Came for the putters, stayed for the descriptions…

2 Likes

How about one shaped like the Enterprise tho?

6 Likes

I wonder if that is actually licensed? Have to assume the appropriate lawyer’s are not going to miss hearing about this.

Based on the little bit of searching i did it’s a legitimately licensed product and is even competition legal.

3 Likes

i don’t have the balls to use a putter like these.

7 Likes

I don’t golf but I would guess pulling this out in a tournament would get some laughs.

3 Likes

Someone actually makes and sells the Happy Gilmore putter…

2 Likes
1 Like

I wonder, though. I mean it turns out there are people who have a fourth colour cone who can just see colour in a way that the rest of us can’t dream of. I know two people I would describe as audiophiles, and based on my experiences with them I genuinely believe they can hear things I just can’t hear.

2 Likes