Cursed putters

My putter looks like the banged-up ones they hand you at mini-golf places. I’m not much of a golfer. My favorite part of golfing is when the beer cart shows up.

1 Like

Based on reading plenty of reviews of bullshit audiophile gear, including a $500 wooden knob that replaces the plastic knob on your amp, I believe they think they can hear things you can’t hear. Self delusion is a hell of a drug, especially when it can make you feel superior to the non-golden-ear plebs. Not to say ear training isn’t a thing, but when you’re talking about hearing frequencies that the geometry and mechanics of the human ear do not allow humans to hear, and hearing levels of distortion that calibrated electronic equipment has trouble quantifying, you’re talking nonsense.

2 Likes

No doubt. When i was a student we would be quizzed daily (for years) on which frequency range out of 32 bands was cut or boosted by 3dB or how many milliseconds of pre-delay was on a track or what percentage of distortion.

Curiously outside of the subtleties, the evidence tends to show the person on the street can still generally tell a “good” sound/recording from a “bad” one.

There is some of this for sure. When I was gigging and had a drummer requesting more vocals in a monitor I would often melodramatically pretend to turn up the gain, ask if it was better, and often get a thumbs up!

Still, aesthetics and perception do have an effect for those who care. The heavy lifting for hearing or golfing is done by the brain which is susceptible to all sorts of manipulation. Studies show when you give a golfer a ball/putter and tell them it’s “lucky” they’ll often perform better.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.