Customs officials refuse to allow passengers to debark a domestic flight unless they show ID

That was not a joke, but perhaps you don’t know the song. It’s “Nookie” by Limp Bizkit. (Note: this is not an endorsement of Limp Bizkit, who I’m not terribly keen on.) The rest of the lyric goes “you can take that cookie. And stick it up your…” And I meant no humor in the suggestion.

1 Like

i was addressing the ‘sympathy’ (your word) that you claimed to offer, it was not sympathetic as I see it.

it was a statemen to encouraging the fear, not fight it.

Thus the not at all unserious question: are you sure you didn’t vote for this?

Oh, well, how awful that I compared you to a canine for the sake of argument! What a jerk I am.

Have you considered a career in Customs and Border Partrol? I hear they’re looking for a good double-standard bearer

1 Like

Sure!

How else would you remove a thin layer from a plank of wood?

8 Likes

#The next chicken little gets the Cat Ass Trophy

1 Like

The thing about this which is more than semantics is where it intersects with the gov’t. What the words mean to you and I isn’t as relevant as how they’re used officially.

And example (from another wing of government entirely) is that AmeriCorps members are not ‘volunteers’, and you can’t call them that officially. They’re ‘members’. Officially recognizing them as “Volunteers” would open them up to the sorts of benefits accrued by Peace Corps “Volunteers”.

So, I’d be unsurprised if ‘debark’ is a word CBP invented so they wouldn’t have to follow the proceedures established for ‘disembarking’. It might also be a cory-ism. Law is semantics.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if Rolling Stone started flying citizens with “suspicious names” (and journalism degrees) around the country on domestic flights?

I’d kickstart the shit out of that.

7 Likes

This thread is dangerously close to veering into a world of offtopic insults. Let’s not go there, please.

14 Likes

Debark, while certainly rare, has been with us for more than 300 years.

(debark | Search Online Etymology Dictionary)

1 Like

TSA has long term plans for bus stations and train stations and even city buses if they ever get enough funding and power.

Dig through their web site for long range planning documents or hit up a good librarian. They’ve been working on such ideas since they crawled out of Hell. They’d like to get their claws into general aviation also.

(Just in case you were thinking of flying your weighs-less-than-a-small car Cessna 152 into the Freedom Tower or something I suppose.)

5 Likes

Ya, I’m about 91.7% sure that it would end like that for me…

2 Likes

Would need actors, because CBP (just like the SS) are quite proud of being the baddies…

3 Likes

Trump is turning the CBP into his private police force. This will only get worse.

6 Likes

Depends on the state. They can require your name. Your ID has never really been tested, best as I can tell, but some states have a law about that and some do not.

5 Likes

If anyone from outside the US was thinking of coming here to visit right now, I’d honestly question their sanity. Seriously, please don’t spend your money here – go somewhere nice instead. I wish my family and I could join you.

14 Likes

At this rate the U.S. just might become the North Carolina of the international community.

7 Likes

At what point, when I am confronting an armed individual with a badge, do I get standing? Clearly, a simple statement that I must do something is insufficient: an ‘order’ may be a ‘request’. (Lawful orders are frequently phrased as requests, out of politeness, but centuries of legal precedent states that they are orders nonetheless.) If I stand mute and am refused permission to go on my way, does that make the request into an order? If I am physically compelled to submit to confinement? If my property is seized, damaged or destroyed? If I confront a drawn weapon? If I suffer personal injury? Do my heirs have standing if the officer simply opens fire?

The same sort of reasoning that says that the order from an officer is a mere request can easily extend to say that an order at gunpoint is still a mere request, or that an order backed up by torture that is less than lethal is a mere request. “Oh, we suppose that was an order. Sorry about your late husband.”

The natural law is that when I am unarmed, an armed individual has the authority to order me to do anything. A reasonable person confronted with such an order has a reasonable belief that s/he is compelled to comply. A court that fails to recognize that is engaging in sophistry.

6 Likes

Not as such, rather the natural law is that if they do not have the authority, or are not acting within their authority, then they are not acting within their official capacity but instead acting as a criminal and you certainly have the right to defend yourself against criminals. If they draw the weapon then they have escalated and you certainly have the right to use deadly force in defense. A reasonable person would understand that and a court that fails to recognize that is corrupt.

However, natural law may not apply in a corrupt society. Such as ours.

1 Like

As someone who was born in the US and who moved to Canada at age 5, I decided a few years ago to renounce my American citizenship in order to be free of the onerous requirement the US has to file taxes every year (two countries in the world use citizenship-based taxation… the US and Eretria, y’all are in good company).

I never intend to be a citizen of any country other than Canada, having been raised as a Canadian and feeling no connection to the US other than being born there. This kind of shit ensures that I will never, by my own will, visit the US again. Apparently, renunciants are in the NICS database, which pretty much guarantees I’ll be hassled. It’s bullshit. I’m Canadian, raised Canadian, and was birthed by a Canadian who happened, at the moment of my birth, to be located in the USA. I have heard of people in similar situations to me who have had problems crossing the border, and I don’t want to find out myself. Now, even if I do manage to successfully cross the boder with no problems (i.e. I’m white as a ghost), I can be fucked over by immigration officials hundreds of miles from the border? Fuck that shit. Y’all used to be the land of the free, home of the brave. T’aint true anymore. Enjoy your police state.

6 Likes

this is my fear too. and currently, conservative states – texas(!) home of the governor who claimed to believe obama was using the special forces to take over the state’s government – seem ready to pass laws to get their police forces to support dhs goals.

4 Likes

Debark…hhhhmmm. this an actually accepted term for a surgical procedure to be used upon dogs that bark. Was not asked to perform this, my own self (as a vet, not as a real doctor, mind y’all), but was asked to remove all teeth from an unruly canine, when I was a practicing veterinarian. But, I was just in practice, at the time. Practice makes perfect! … ; /

1 Like