Customs officials refuse to allow passengers to debark a domestic flight unless they show ID

Real cops are different. They can legally request your ID. And you can legally request that they not show it to CBP. They can then tell CPB that you have proven to them your information and tell CBP what it is, but you do not have to prove your Americanicity while traveling domestically.

What’s stopping them is literally you and me and knowing this shit. You empower yourself when you correctly refuse to follow directions you know to be wrong.

7 Likes

You’re going to be afraid of that either way, may as well stand up for your principles. I’m really not a tough guy. I can afford a tough lawyer, though.

2 Likes

I can’t. And my employer may not be understanding as to why I was “unavoidably detained”. I haven’t got anybody else to pay my rent.

In fact I am pretty sure the advice I would get from BOTH my employer and union would be ‘cooperate, document and file an official complaint later.’ You might argue that would do no good. I could argue the same thing about your approach because unless they DO do something you can sue, there will be no record, except for their own complaints that they can’t get what they need to do their job. THAT gets passed up the chain and on to the legislators who say “gee, golly, these guys need to be able to do their job. I don’t know all what that is, but I am going to introduce a bill (or a rider to a bill) that gives them the authority to do so. I haven’t heard about any complaints, so it must be all good.”

And then you’re just as screwed with even less recourse.

3 Likes

Fear is the mind killer.

2 Likes

A great many small, out of the way airports qualify as international airports. There may only be one weekly flight to e.g. Bermuda, but it still qualifies

3 Likes

Don’t you “deplane” from an airplane? https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deplane

But then comes the question, has anyone ever “planed”?

1 Like

But they have no reason to believe you crossed the actual border. With the whole 100 mile crap, at least they can fake it because they didn’t see you not cross the border. But with that flight it is controlled access.

sigh

You can deplane or disembark.

But, no, I don’t think you can plane or emplane.

1 Like

What right they have to demand proof of citizenship in a case like this may be unclear, but be careful. CBP are “regular cops” just as much as FBI Special Agents for example. You may be confusing them with Transportation Security Officers who aren’t law enforcement but try to make you think they are.

So is losing your job and being unable to afford health insurance…

10 Likes

No, what I’m saying is that they cannot ask for things outside their jurisdiction the same way a Texas sheriff can’t bust into my NJ home.

#sure you didn’t vote for this?

2 Likes

8 Likes

This is a metaphor:

Sounds like that cookie is your rights, good boy, SIT!

The actual answer is to sit with your cookie, not hand it over and wait to be told.

1 Like

I have made no comment (at least in this thread) about what I will or will not do. I have merely expressed some sympathetic understanding as to why some might not feel secure in standing up for their rights.

Also, your metaphor doesn’t make sense, but it does compare people to dogs, which is, I suppose, timely.

3 Likes

okay, well this:

You made that comment in this thread, so that is what you are doing

and it’s catastrophizing and I find no humor in your characterizing that as sympathetic.

Take an outsiders view in for a second, it’s not sympathetic, It’s deeply selfish. Maybe you came off other than your meant to to me. Do you think clarifying, or mocking, is the best next option?

1 Like

The only “humor” I have introduced to this thread is a slight touch of sarcasm about your, in this time when so many are being dehumanized, comparison of people you disagree with to dogs. Perhaps I was being overly sensitive.

That’s the only one of your points I can address because I really can’t understand the quoted passage above. Other than the fact that you’re apparently feeling hostile.

1 Like

Don’t break your own arm patting yourself on the back there!

I didn’t ask why. I asked you to reconsider if your behavior was enabling that which you claim to oppose.

You just get back to catastrophising and encouraging other to do the same. Good boy.

1 Like

I did it all for the nookie.

not people generally. People who give up their rights because they’re told they don’t have them anymore. That is dog like. YOU GOT THE METAPHOR but misattributed it to be about !you… it’s about your words, here, in this thread, only.

If you want to take that personally, I am unsurprised, based on the catastrophising. I don’t like what you said, if you take that personal, or try to make that personal, it’s not really my choice.

Glad to see you’re so deeply serious, not at all part of the problem. Thank you again for your contributions.