Cybertruck owner complains tailgate warped when payload shifted on it

Originally published at: Cybertruck owner complains tailgate warped when payload shifted on it - Boing Boing

9 Likes

Dumbass. You spend $100,000+ on these things to show off, and to show off you are owning the libs, not to use them.

Who the fuck would buy one of these things to use?

25 Likes

CyberTruck*

*for decorative use only

32 Likes

because the tailgate still closes, it just looks awful.

I saw one of these 1980s adolescent-boy fantasies made real in the wild yesterday. It looks awful whether or not the tailgate is closed.

24 Likes

Right now, the Cybertruck owner says he’s going to live with the damage and try to get it adjusted if it’s possible because the tailgate still closes, it just looks awful.

No amount of adjustments is going to fix the fact that it looks awful.

22 Likes

Part of me does feel bad for the owner, because if I coughed up 100K, I’d be expecting better build quality than, say, a 39K work truck from Ford, GM, or Dodge.

However, the rest of me is going “CRY SOME MORE!” :slight_smile:

(Bias: I have a 2011 Tundra, purchased new, and do some light hauling with it for projects around the house and the rare work project; some of the plastics are starting to break due to the heat and sun from Arizona summers, and the tailgate has a few dings and scratches, but it’s still straight, unlike it’s owner. :wink: )

29 Likes

That might actually be outside the Cybertruck’s famed 10 micron tolerance.

Which is the only time we’ll talk about tolerance and Musk in the same sentence.

12 Likes

Yup. It’s a cosplay prop.

9 Likes

They are ugly in the pictures I’ve seen. Pictures did not prepare me for when I saw one in the wild. They are hideous!

15 Likes

I bent my tailgate hardware on a Chevy truck when I put a ladder in that was about 1/2 an inch too long. I worked on the linkage and got to work. I complained to my friends about it.

7 Likes

My little Maverick, costing under $30k, handled much more, without a dent or scratch.
I just love this little truck!!
Also, the Cybertruck guy probably has zero knowledge of how to load and secure anything in a truck. Using a bed extender specifically takes the load off the tailgate.
And using “self driving” while under load is pure idiocy.

Side note: I have a friend who caused a multiple rear-ending accident in a single lane construction zone using Ford’s smart cruise control (don’t remember it’s official name). I had to bite my tongue hard to not go off on him about the appropriateness of that decision.
(edited for typos/grammar)

12 Likes

Right now, the Cybertruck owner says he’s going to live with the damage and try to get it adjusted if it’s possible because the tailgate still closes, it just looks awful.

So no change from a stock Cybertruck then.

10 Likes

photo for the BBS:

It just looks so… flimsy, like a toaster.

10 Likes

If i were ever going to spend 100k on a truck, it better be a damn tank. Thankfully i have too much sense, nor do i have a need for a truck.

5 Likes

Looks also that it’s a long and difficult job to change it. On the other hand real pickups, like the Ford Transit or a Fiat Ducato, could swap the loading area sides with two correct sized wrenches and help of another person in less than an hour. The sides are also corrugated to be less prone to deformations.

3 Likes

What?!?

1 Like

You know, that thin metal they used to make toasters out of.

I haven’t bought a toaster in years – for all I know, they make 'em out of carbon fiber now. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

brave little toaster animation GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

6 Likes

Teslas tend to have such bad panel gaps that this could very well be considered within spec.

7 Likes

season 6 GIF

6 Likes