Cybertrucks are rusting

Sir Clive should have stayed in computers, maybe.

6 Likes

coastal cities

Let’s try one good :canada: winter with truckloads of salt on the road. Datsun imports in the 70’s were called “biodegradable” for their tendency to dissolve into orange puddles in winter.

14 Likes

7 Likes

According to the patent application:

“In some embodiments, the corrosion resistance of the monolithic metal sheet allows for the exterior panel of the vehicle to be utilized without application of an anticorrosion coating or corrosion protective agent (e.g. paint). In some embodiments, an exterior surface of the exterior panel does not comprise paint.”

Clearly the innovation is paying off for them.

5 Likes

Serious question: did this happen to DeLoreans? Or did Elno also fuck up on the grade of stainless used?

6 Likes

Was wondering the same thing. I think this article would’ve pointed that out:

I’d long thought that “stainless steel” meant “rustproof.” Then we got a new kitchen sink which disabused me of that notion. Bar Keeper’s Friend works great on that (whereas chlorine makes it worse) but I don’t know how that bodes for the Cybertruck. (I’m also finding out what happens to the surface of old, otherwise reliable appliances, but I don’t known whether those are just steel, or stainless steel beneath the enamel(?) coating)

10 Likes

Interesting article. They mention a few maintenance issues, but panel corrosion isn’t one of them. Frame and engine block trouble spots for corrosion, yes. But not panels.

Yeah, in engineering school we had “rustproof” beaten out of our heads. It’s rust resistant, and there are many qualities and types of resistance to choose from among the many alloys we call “stainless steel”.

16 Likes

according to @blackanvil

20 Likes

Great minds, etc, luv

9 Likes

301? That’s … not great.

Also: old engineers will tell you that stainless today ain’t what it used to be, and for once the old people grumbling that it was better back then are 100% right.

Before quality control practice became precise in the 90s, if you were contracted to supply 304 stainless you had to err or on the side of higher-quality if you wanted to meet the contractual requirements of, say, 98% 304 or better. So the average grade would be better than 304 to allow for the occasional bad bits that would creep through.

Somewhere in the mid-90s, things took an abrupt turn, and when you asked for 304 you got 304 - no rejects, no extras.

So the 304 in the DeLorean is the “premium 304”. These days 301 is no-frills 301.

So if the Cybertruck really is made of 301, it’s technically stainless steel, but you wouldn’t want to push it.

20 Likes

11 Likes

Careful, man. You know those things slice fingers.

10 Likes

What is that, a Cybertruck for ants!?

13 Likes

I wonder what the crumple zones are like on the cyber truck? I’m guessing that the safety is all reserved for the occupants in typical Tech Bro style. Looks like I wasn’t wrong.

10 Likes

Can you imagine all the damage that seagulls and cormorants could cause?

11 Likes

How cute! Why does it remind me of the shuttle from The Running Man, though?

6 Likes

Movie GIF
(Except in instances where abiotic rust happens first)

3 Likes

Why is it that that’s suddenly cute enough that I’d want to drive it? I feel like it would go “Wee wee wee wee wee!” as it sped along.

4 Likes

To be fair on tech bros that is all trucks. They are all fucking killers for fashion.

5 Likes

You are all just unaware that the “patina” of the Cybertruck is an homage to the legendary Porsche 914 and it’s battery tray (aka, the hell hole):

And since the Cybertruck is 100% battery tray…

11 Likes