Cyclist frustrates the DC trucker convoy

That cyclist is pretty brave. If there’s a group more likely than this trucker convoy to have self-selected for a belief that vehicular homicide in the service of their perceived prerogatives is their birthright I’m having a hard time thinking of it at the moment.

34 Likes

As others pointed out, driving slower burns less fuel per mile. Also, assuming they follow their Canadian counterparts, their goal is to go somewhere with moderately heavy traffic and blockade it. They’re literally in a hurry to cause gridlock.

17 Likes

I would hope that the industry or interstate regulatory bodies would frown on vehicular homicide.

5 Likes

Agreed!
And, even if they just intended to drive slowly through and honk and cause a general ruckus, I’d argue that disrupting this kind of anti-science, anti-public health, anti-democracy “demonstration” is helpful. They need to be shown that they don’t get to make the rules.
They don’t get to just do whatever they want because they’re driving big rigs. :woman_shrugging:t2:

20 Likes

The DC City Council had their own little bit of fun at the trucker convoy’s expense.

From an article on this…

Dupont Circle is infamous for being the LGBTQ+ friendly neighborhood in Washington, D.C. While the city has largely become friendly to all LGBTQ+ members, it still remains the place for the Pride Parade, neighborhood gay bars and rainbow flags fly off of businesses.

20 Likes

Dammit. When is the last line gonna change? I’ve been stuck for hours!

7 Likes

“I dislike the way the country is run, so I’m going to be obnoxious in the only US city (besides San Juan) that doesn’t get to have a say how the country is run.”

11 Likes

My feeling is that if the DC convoy begins to approach the level of obnoxiousness of the Canadian convoy, they will be rousted relatively quickly.

1 Like

I keep reading “that” again.

6 Likes

When has an industry, interstate regulatory body, law, or even their own damn religion (that they supposedly are the best at following) frowning on something stopped any of these self-obsessed asses from doing it anyways?

8 Likes

I don’t really care, since the important thing is that the cyclist frustrated a bunch of assholes, which is always worthwhile, but are you sure this is true for trucks?

If they’re needing to ride the break or clutch, due to their idling speed, it seems like it’s simply transforming fuel into heat/rubber erosion.

3 Likes

Be even better if there was a “convoy” of bikers in a line in front of the truckers. You could look back at them, with a look, “What?? I’m with you!!”

At some point, you all stop, and ostentatiously ring your bicycle ringers. You know, just the big fellas are doing.

8 Likes

Yeah, the big reason the Canadian convoy was so successful was that: the local police force sympathized with them; the local administration in Ottawa was timid. Neither will apply in DC, especially given the experience of Jan 6.

Also:
“I dislike the mandates that don’t by and large exist any more!”

7 Likes

Also saying the quiet part out loud…the most telling part.

The “People’s Convoy” trucker protest continued on Friday, with a member saying Black Lives Matter Plaza in Washington, D.C., is going to get “tarred and feathered and then we’re gonna tar and feather all our delegates.”
…In the unidentified man’s speech, he said the convoy is going to take back Black Lives Matter Plaza, adding that “all that paint’s coming off that street.”

16 Likes

Stay classy, flu trux klan!

13 Likes

I disapprove of what the truckers are saying, but I am jealous of the way their heavy metal can’t be pushed and shoved around by the corps cops.

Oh my gosh. It took me forever to get the “mandates” “man dates” play on words. Good one, DC Council!

Ron Swanson Smile GIF

18 Likes

You’re jealous of bullies?

3 Likes

I think they are jealous of not being bullied, which I can sympatise with. It is frustrating.

Hope that cyclist has ear protection. Those arsehole buttons on the trucks are very loud and shouldn’t be used in built up areas in the first place. They are designed to alert people in other soundproofed boxes at distance.

10 Likes

What DC needs is a someone giving away free rotten tomatoes and expired eggs.

4 Likes