Cyclist ignores warning gates, tries to ride onto lifted drawbridge and fails

4 Likes

I think she must have been drunk. She starts to turn and had plenty of time and space to turn more to avoid the bridge. She also wasn’t going fast so could have easily stopped even with bad brakes.

2 Likes

She also experienced three very long seconds of feeling certain she was about to be crushed to death. I imagine the ensuing monoamine spike, coupled with feeling helpless to escape irrevocable, painful dispatch to eternal oblivion could have—possibly maybe—drained her a bit.

7 Likes

I was looking for that clip from either CHiPs or Emergency where someone flies over a drawbridge…

1 Like

Bet she won’t do that again.

1 Like

Also because Wisconsin.

7 Likes

Yep.

11 Likes

That was cheery and had pretty scenery.

Midwest represent!

3 Likes

It look like Wisconsinites wash down all that cheese with a whole lot o’ beer.

1 Like

Bad brakes? No way. She didn’t even try to stop and gave the pedals a few good cranks right before she took a nose dive. She literally and completely misread what was in front of her. There is no reason to keep moving forward into a “wall” preceded by a “trench” unless your vision was impaired. She pulled a Mr. Magoo.

3 Likes

A helpful reminder that some bicyclists are unobservant, reckless idiots too. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There is a dark patch on the roadway where she fell - doesn’t seem to be there at the beginning of the video. She literally may have drained a bit.

You may be right, but don’t be too certain. People react to shock in different ways. I will never forget seeing a guy sitting on the roadside looking perfectly calm while paramedics looked after him. His lower leg was on the other side of the road.

6 Likes

You mean you were looking for that when you found this footage? Holy shit.

After an entire minute passes, WTF?

Yup. I was hit and thrown by a car doing 30 mph in a residential parking lot, and my back was broken. Bystanders held me down because I was struggling to sit up and see the license plate of the vehicle that hit me.

9 Likes

It’s a good thing those people were there. You know better than I do the danger of trying to move when your back is broken. Maybe you get lucky. More likely, you don’t.

2 Likes

A crack of doom always has the right-of-way.

3 Likes

Using the wrong vehicle: