Da Musicz

I have not. Do they tour much in the US?

Love love love The Meters. I saw them so many times live in New Orleans. They are perfect music.

3 Likes

Looks like the last tour there was 2013 for the US, 2016 for Canada. Might be due another soon.

https://thecatempire.com/gallery.html

2 Likes

Another Eastern Bloc album from the '70s, this time from Turkmenistan, so I suppose it’s old school enough, and it’s feel good enough too - I want what they were having.

These albums are kind of an eye opener - those cheesy vocal-instrumental ensembles may have been Pravda, but there were evidently quite a number of bands accomplished in the jazz, prog and fusion genres (with definite quirks) that were the real thing.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Because, well, old school skating, bell bottoms and disco.*

*I HATED disco.

1 Like

When my kiddo was 9 we had a roller skating party for her. She loved planning birthday parties and we had really fun, elaborate ones. She seriously should be a party planner for a living. Anyway, we rented out the whole skating rink and since it was huge and it cost no extra to invite more, we invited everyone in both of the 3rd grade classes in her school.

But having just a plain old roller skating party wasn’t that cool, so we made it a Roller Disco party and all the graphics were super great disco silhouettes, including her cake. Unfortunately the skating rink didn’t really have a lot of disco songs to play…I really wanted Disco Duck which was such a fun novelty song they used to do at skating parties, and even if they hadn’t heard it before I knew the kids would like it. But now we haz the YouTube.

5 Likes

That is just crazy talk! Crazy I tell you! :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah we didn’t think that part through too much. I’m sure the kids would prefer their own stuff, but it would have been fun to throw in a few of the novelty songs or of the ones that are just so iconic the kids had heard them.

1 Like

I was born during the era; so I can’t help but like a lot of it.

:slight_smile:

And it should be noted there is a difference between Disco and FUNK:

10 Likes

This is definitely not disco:

4 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Whenever I see or hear Fred Wesley’s name, I feel compelled to post this:

Fun fact: that was the one and ONLY time Don Cornelius went down the Soul Train Line himself.

6 Likes

I have more Funk please! Thank you. :smiley:

3 Likes

And the title track itself was very far from disco, iirc. P- Funk was sui generis.

So. Much. Polyester.

5 Likes

I meant the music, not the fads and fashions of that era.

:slight_smile:

I was talking about the music. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

A tacky synthetic fabric can produce musical sound???

Who knew?

3 Likes

That was what was so surprising about it…

3 Likes