Da Musicz

Search for gamelan.

1 Like
4 Likes

I know the feeling! The ensemble are Suar Agung, and I spent that night listening to lots of their tracks on YouTube. The type of gamelan is called “jegog”, which refers to a big percussion structure made of bamboo, with its distinctive tone.

My intro to jegog was via Geinoh Yamashirogumi’s amazing soundtrack to Akira. I saw it when it first came to the states at the Coolidge Corner theatre, an art-deco co-op in Massachusetts with a huge screen and banging system. To this day it is one of the best cinematic experiences of my life. The soundtrack starts up straight away with Kaneda’s theme.

This inspired me to get a great CD which I am sure was called “Jegog! Dynamic Sound of the Earth”, but somehow I have never been able to replace it.

9 Likes

2 Likes

Edie Adams:

OK, I’m not really listening to cigar ads. I finally got around to cleaning this amazing LP I picked up last winter in California, but all the best songs from it have been taken down from youtube:

Our neighbors are probably getting tired of my listening to it over and over.

5 Likes

10 Likes
6 Likes

When I was a kid growing up in the 60s one of the local radio stations (WFMT) had a weekly show that began with Lead Belly singing this (from the Smithsonian/Last Sessions album). I listened to it every week for years.

3 Likes

#Y U No Post Video HERE?

3 Likes

Because radio. Wait, surprise, it actually is on youtube:

7 Likes

Ain’t the 21st century groovy?

4 Likes

Sure, but when I looked for some Edie Adams there the other day all the best tracks from Behind the Swingin’ Door were taken down. (Pretty much the only thing left was “Good For Nothing Joe,” which Lena Horne does better.) I have the LP (and have now ripped to mp3), but how do I share?

1 Like

Upload the audio files, and ‘encode’ the titles.

Every Saturday night, ending at midnight (opening song: Lead Belly’s The Midnight Special; closing song, Richard Dyer-Bennet’s The Lonesome Valley) with a repeat on Wednesday afternoons.

You and me both, man!

edited to add: hey, look at that…guess I just knew that @Melizmatic was going to ask for a link!

3 Likes

Twisted Sister

I Wanna Rock

We’re Not Gunna Take It

When I was, IIRC 11, Nickelodeon started “Nick Rocks” which IMHO had better video’s than MTV (even then) and TS was my first “rock” discovery - the dismay in my house when my music taste went from MJ (Thriller) to Pink Floyd (The Wall) to Twisted Sister (Stay Hungry) was palpable. lol. Xmas '84 my dad got me a cassette player and said he would take me to buy one tape for it after xmas, I still fondly remember the look on his face when he saw the cover to Stay Hungry… ROFLMAO.,

7 Likes

Love Twisted Sister.

Also, if we have LeadBelly, we gotta have some Muddy Waters.

7 Likes

I’M A KING BEE!

5 Likes

France Gall… Baby Pop

6 Likes

Huge fan. Everyone else was listening to AC/DC and Black Sabbath, and I was listening to Jarre and Tomita.

3 Likes

Once upon a time this whole concert was available to stream on Netflix, but not any more, I guess.

3 Likes