Da Musicz

It’s been 30 years since Public Enemy put out “Fight the Power” if you can believe that…

9 Likes
5 Likes

Os originais do Samba

1 Like

As miserable as airports are by 3:37 this had me positively boppin’ between terminals.

The lyrics are fun, poingnant and biting:

[quote]
keep on grinning
work the meat right off your bones
it will pay off
happiness is what you want, isn’t it?
far out!
this song
isn’t what you’re hearing
all night long
did you ever
think the voices might be wrong
then you wonder
what’s the matter with your weight
you are no more
getting taller every day
Like Children
Like Children
They are free to be up or down
free to be sad
until we tell them not to cry
Dance to country and eastern music
Feel the sweet balance of life!
Cry all night![/quote]

And I find the album artwork very moving in a simple direct way. And sooooooo 1974.

2 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes
5 Likes

Beaufort North Carolina Piedmont Blues Veteran, Richard "Big Boy "Henry sings Mr. President aka a letter to Ronald Reagan.

4 Likes

Maxayn - Funk Soul Sister

5 Likes

Awesome! On the subject of funk soul sisters, I loved hearing Minnie Riperton’s Les Fleurs in Us.

4 Likes

OMG that makes me feel old when I realize that I was 11 years old when I first got my hands on It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. (And 11 years old when that Fight the Power came out not long afterward - I got it on cassette the day it came out.)

As a young white kid, so many of the words of PE went right over my head but the power behind them was so raw that it made me interested to learn more. Who is this Farrakhan guy? Who is this “X” they keep referring to? Why is Chuck D so angry? Don’t get me wrong - even at that age I wasn’t sheltered or ignorant to the racist power structures of America. I grew up in the SF Bay Area so there was plenty of progressive and multicultural influence to take in, but still it’s not like in school they sat us down and said, “ok kids, today we’re going to learn about the lynching of Nat Turner”.

PE was hugely influential to me and drove me deep into the rabbit hole of conscious rap.

8 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

Intrigue:

https://therumpus.net/2019/06/swinging-modern-sounds-96-voices-of-displacement/

7 Likes
5 Likes

I have to share this… So The Carpenters didn’t do Close To You first… they did it the best though.

This is umm well a song.

5 Likes

“Don’t let them take your daughter” JHC (or rather ʿĪsā ibn Maryam!)

2 Likes
2 Likes

My God.

I cringed audibly at the sound of that.

3 Likes