Dashcam video captures Oklahoma Highway Patrol officer's brush with death

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/29/dashcam-video-captures-oklahoma-highway-patrol-officers-brush-with-death.html

1 Like

%$%@ essentially a combat experience. Damn.

1 Like

And nobody stopped.

1 Like

We’re going to have to start treating “using phone while driving” like we do DUI. No breaks, no warnings, lose your license for 6 months, huge fine, huge insurance premium increase.

Or I guess we can treat it as inevitable like gun deaths - thoughts and prayers.

20 Likes

This is a good time to remind everyone that the number of police officers in the US killed in traffic incidents is roughly the same as the number killed in gun incidents

8 Likes

Wow… good thing for brown pants

4 Likes

What about the driver of the white truck that was pulled over?

1 Like

It’s in the post. (Which I only wrote because “post cannot be empty”, though TBH, Discourse, if you can’t tell that a quote is in fact a post, that needs fixing.)

2 Likes

You can see a pickup truck quickly merge over to the side of the off-ramp and turn back to the scene.

3 Likes

Umm - not in the video embedded in the post I didn’t. Got a timestamp for that?

Watch the truck that comes into view at the 0:19 mark. It may help to make the video bigger.

2 Likes

i’m not usually one for spitting out something in surprise, but HOLY CRAP, that made me spit out the pretzel i was snacking on. [EDIT]: i thought the still shot prepared me – and what a still it is! – but i was not prepared.

4 Likes

And the number of highway workers killed on the job is higher than both those numbers combined, even though highway workers have much lower salaries.

8 Likes

Many American police wear bulletproof vests on a daily basis but you pretty much never see them wearing hi-vis jackets or vests like the British police often wear:

It would sure make sense for at least the folks on traffic duty to wear something like that. But maybe there would be too much pushback from tough guy cops who don’t think it looks cool? On the instances where I see a cop direcing traffic by hand they don’t even wear the white gloves of yesteryear, even though those make a huge difference fir visibility and used to be standard issue.

6 Likes

Yes - well spotted. Unfortunately the video ends before he comes back into view, but he does seem to do a turn, as you say.

I would assume the truck is heading straight to the black SUV that rolled over (also out of view).

2 Likes

I assumed the image used was another Midjourney product, because it’s somehow so… “over the top.”

Okay, so no one was seriously harmed, but the real burning question I have is: did the driver of the white vehicle still get the ticket they were presumably pulled over for? Was it a fix-it ticket, because that would have been deeply ironic. “I pulled you over because one of your brake lights is out and… ooops, your vehicle is totaled now.”

1 Like

What would be huge by American standards?

I only ask as thanks to car compaines cutting production and brexit and any thing else, car insurance has jumped to 4k a year for new drivers and has doubled for most people apparently, mines not up till august so not had that horror yet, but was only £360 last year but there is talk of the avg now being £1500 a year, as cars are just to expensive to fix and there is no spare parts.

Thou i can attest to that, my car has had a broken sensors for the last 4 years and they dont make it any more so i can not replace it, on my 2012 megane, so the warning lights just on all the time…

But no idea what people pay in the usa for car insurance?

You’re not kidding. That’s very startling!

That’s probably why he survived, he had no time to tense, and the blow probably stunned him…

1 Like