Daughter of GOP candidate begs "Please for the love of God do not vote for my dad"

Or was that Goselar’s four siblings who took out an actual ad asking people not to vote for him?

That happened, too.

6 Likes

Yea something like that. I think they did a full street ad and the works? I don’t recall the specific details.

12 Likes

It’s the hat tip to Trump that makes me wonder if he’s just pandering in the hope he’ll get noticed and offered a higher up type job.

1 Like
  • Learning to think for yourself? Have your own beliefs? Check.
  • Take advantage of your first amendment rights. Check.
  • Publicly attack a GOP politician–dad. Snap.

If I put myself in dad’s shoes, and I think: My house, my rules. You’re on your own now kid.

The problem then becomes–making your beliefs out of whole cloth is complex. You will make mistakes in life. Who will you turn to? Who can you trust?

I’m sure GOP dad hopes is daughter starts making friends who share her new(?) beliefs.

Welcome to BoingBoing.

Unfortunately, that tends to be the first reaction of terrible parents who think they can use their economic clout to control their children’s thinking and behavior forever. It’s a lazy substitute for engaging.

She doesn’t need to. There’s no shortage of political thought out there, and it sounds as if she has just discovered some that’s a bit more progressive than her dad’s.

Or (from your user name), if you are referring to religion when you say “beliefs”, religion hasn’t proven to be more effective than atheism in guiding people to lead ethical lives. Again, there are plenty around to choose from.

From his rant she has, and that’s exactly what he’s upset about and wants to control. (Unless you meant that sarcastically, in which case it’s common around these parts to add “/s” after your statement to make it clear.)

14 Likes

10 Likes
8 Likes

The strict-father model of parenting is so toxic that it not only perpetuates itself from generation to generation within a family but also poisons society as a whole.

This young woman seems intent on breaking the cycle in both cases. Having gone away to college helped, but in the end it’s more an indication of good character when someone decides to break out of that particular cycle.

6 Likes

I think he will still be able to turn to her and trust her when he realizes his mistakes. :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.