David Bowie grills MTV about their failure to play videos by Black artists in this 1983 interview

Originally published at: David Bowie grills MTV about their failure to play videos by Black artists in this 1983 interview | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Bowie was a mensch.

32 Likes

Bowie did an amazing job helping Mark Goodman make himself look like a complete idiot.

20 Likes

Bowie was full on sensational in every way. Damned.

16 Likes

LOVE the deep ‘enhance’ move at the end watching Bowie struggling to appear polite.

16 Likes

Our in-house professional translators

@beschizza ?

4 Likes

I think Bowie says “very interesting” because he can’t believe Goodman would be so open about his racism. Or he can’t believe he actually got Goodman to straight up admit it, and on camera no less.

Good on Bowie for having the balls to bring this up and how shameful for MTV.

13 Likes

Apparently, one of the first beneficiaries of that interview was Eddy Grant…

And apparently Musical Youth was the first Black artists to get an in studio interview on MTV?

19 Likes

As a near-teenager in the midwest in 1983, and as someone who watched MTV in 1983, let me be clear that we were not at all afraid of black musicians. Some of us even liked their music more than we liked music by white musicians.

17 Likes

And it was omnipresent!

There’s an Electric Avenue in Seal Beach, CA, and to this day any time I drive near it I sing, “We gonna rock down to Electric Avenue, and then we’ll take it higher.” :smiley:

10 Likes

David Bowie is a rock star.

Mark Goodman: “You like that? I don’t like you.” Has anything changed in the last 40 years?

3 Likes

Aye, they played the hell out of that one once it aired; if almost nothing else.

As a kid, I remember sitting though hours and hours of new wave vids with my sister, just to catch the rare MJ or Prince video…

10 Likes

It’s been posted before but i’m reminded of his interview explaining the internet to a befuddled and equally out of touch Jeremy Paxman back in 99. Bowie just had his finger on the pulse and, more importantly, paid attention.

24 Likes

when adults say because the children they often mean because the parents

29 Likes

It’s good to have affirmation that Bowie was not just a standout guy but was very much aware that white artists were having success at the expense of black artists. Good for him for putting MTV on blast back then

11 Likes

More or less! Perhaps more emphasis on “you’ve made a terrible mistake” but with a soupcon of “I’m quietly amazed you’ve just said that”

12 Likes

One thing I’ve long enjoyed is that black artists happily borrowed back. Bowie did a very James Brown type groove on Fame, and Brown yoinked it back

8 Likes

Goodman: “… pick some town in the Midwest that will be scared to death by Prince, which we are playing…”

Me: where is Prince from again? oh right Minneapolis

16 Likes

The look on Bowie’s face throughout says so much. Definitely not in the market for horseshit.

12 Likes

Bowie’s own comments on race were “very interesting” a few years before that, I seem to recall.

3 Likes