U.S. prepares for #DayWithoutImmigrants strike on Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/15/day-without-immigrants.html

7 Likes

Eh, 27% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Maybe the new remake will be better.

13 Likes

So not the 18th, but tomorrow, the 16th. I hope it’s been in the works for a while and I hadn’t heard about it, otherwise it’s a bit late notice. The “national strike” is the next day on the 17th, and I suspect it won’t have much support given the late organization for that one. Still, I’ll be staying home (for both, in solidarity).

5 Likes

I agree with the sentiment. But I hope Rick Bayless and others pay their employees for that day.
And not make it a “A Day Without A Paycheck” for their workers.
Also do estimated tips for tipped employees for a day.

7 Likes

@xeni, there is a typo in the headline. I believe it should say 16, per the article.

1 Like

I love this, but it won’t make a difference. Haters will just yell, “get a job!” The rest of us are (at least) worried about where this government is going.

6 Likes

Power is in the People, the People are the power, it’s just that simple folks.

4 Likes

What is this some kind of a trick? I’ll get fired.

4 Likes

Are any of the restaurants that cater to DC politicians, lobbyists, and their sycophants closed? For example Cafe Melano, Charlie Palmer Steakhouse, Old Ebbitt Grill, Bistro Bis, BLT Steak, The Palm, Equinox, Capital Grille, Bourbon Steak, Blue Duck, Tosca, Twigs, Occidental Grill and Seafood, Le Diplomat, Fiola, Johnny’s Half Shell etc…

Probably not.

You want to make the same point and piss off Republicans? Shut down Chik-fil-a.

4 Likes

I have to admit, I have mixed feelings about this strike.

On one hand, yes, it’s a lovely idealistic concept, to show what the absence of immigrants in everyday life means, a tangible visual representation of their impact, and I love the sentiment.

However, whenever I see comments from right-wingers about protesters, they love to mock them for “not having jobs” or “being lazy and not working so they can party and protest”. I fear that immigrants taking the day off to protest just adds fuel to that fire.

1 Like

Haters gonna hate. The only thing to do is stand up for what you believe.

4 Likes

From what I can tell, it’s mostly hipster places, and anything owned by Jose Andres. :frowning:

1 Like

So today’s the day. Action reports???

I’ll have to see if my mom joined in – doesn’t work, so it would amount to her cancelling some doctor’s appointments.

1 Like

My local coffee shop and two breakfast restaurants are closed this morning.

You survive it okay??

Apparently many restaurants at the Pentagon food courts closed yesterday, causing long lines at the restaurants that were open. The only source that I can find for the story is Fox News, so I won’t link to it.

So it turned out to be way bigger in the DC area than I expected via local reporting, but I can’t say if it affected anyone who could do anything about it since I don’t work downtown. :frowning:

I’m a big fan of Rick Bayless restaurants. If you’re ever in Chicago you need to try Frontera Grill, if you can. Probably the best and most authentic Mexican food I’ve ever eaten. This makes me like Rick Bayless even more, especially if he compensates his employees as @SamWinston suggests.

1 Like

My feelings are not mixed at all. I’m 100% for this protest.

A bigot’s reaction to:

• Latino/a not working = “hurr durr look how lazy!”
  • Latino/a working a menial job = “hurr durr best job they could get”
  • Latino/a working a “regular” job =

You never can win with a bigot.

11 Likes